Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo Kit for my 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Kit for my 06

Two of my good buddies have the Hellion kit and it's really nice. I helped on the install with one of them and it's a pain in the ****, but was well worth it. Both of them are putting out about 440hp at 9psi. One of the cars has about 35k miles on the turbo with stock motor and it's running strong.

If I go turbo I'll get the Hellion as well... but for my car I'm leaning more towards the Whipple.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

ground clearance is not an issue on the hellion! i'm tired of explaining why, so here's my last one
https://mustangforums.com/m_4022699/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Im not even going to read your post about ground clearance because I have had one and it drags on every freaking thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I not mistaken your car is only lowered in the rear. Pardon me if that is incorrect.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Interesting responses

One poster says Hellion is best kit out there because of ease of install
Another says the Hellion was a right pain to install
Yet another says Hellion has clearance issues
Then another claims that's nonsense
Thenyet another stating the Hellion kit drags on everything

Goes to show that even with the same basic kit on the same basic vehicle, experiences can differ significantly from one user to another.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chadlet

Are those numbers correct in you sig? Over 500 hp and torque at only 9 psi? If so what kind of numbers are you running in the 1/4? If you dont mind me asking. I was looking at a whipple HO but was worried about running 12 psi to get close to 500 hp, but if you can do it with only 9 than maybe Ill go turbo.
You can still break your motor at 9psi.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Kize23

Well now i am really confused... lol. oh well. I will have to go look at some pictures and see how bad it really is i guess.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

One of my buddies with the Hellion has the Eibach Pro-Kit on his car and he definitely has ground clearance issues. He left has car at my place for a week and every time I pulled into the garage the turbo pipes scraped.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Kize23

Well After looking at the Powerhouse turbo kit i think that might be what i go with. So when people say that it generates less heat under the hood, How is that so? Just where they place it under there?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have the STS base single kit and I have been very happy with it. I did not do the install but after talking to the installer he said it was by far the easiest to install. I don't have lag like everyone thinks they would and the kit sounds absolutly awesome. I never had the kit dyno tuned like it should have been. It's a 60 mm turbo rated at 620 hp @15 psi. I don't know if that is rwhp or crank, I assume crank.

Good things about the STS can be found at their website.

IMO the good things about the kit are:

Easy to upgrade to twins
Blow through design
Efficent as any other turbo. I have a 5.8 psi spring and make 6.2 psi with zero gain added by the EBC. The piping for an STS, from motor to turbo is only about 2' longer than the hellion kit. That doesn't count the intake piping which is really long. I trapped 116-117 at 9.5 psi. If I had a twp step I would have gotten much better times and traps.
High quailty piping, all JET HOT coated.
Turn key tuning (see below)
It is the baddest sounding turbo car ever! IMO

Bad things

Limited on the size of turbo you want to run if you have the single kit. There is only so much room back there and I think I could squeeze a 67 mm turbo back there but we will see later.

The position of the air intake gets rubber from burn outs on the filter. More of pain in the butt than anything.

People have issues about water getting into the intake but I have not expeirenced that or heard any first hand experiences with this. I drove 180 miles in pouring rain storm and no issues.

If you are lowered the intake piping on the passenger side is low. I scraped it a few times the first few weeks and then I didn't do it since. I'm really careful. Sucks to get your car on a flat bed trailer too, or drive up lift.

Customer service is mediocre at best. I've sent several unanswered emails to them.

If I were to do it again, I would have got twins. Other than that I love it.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

Every turbo car should betuned by someone who has tuned turbos on our cars.

Get delete plates if do it.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kize23

Well now i am really confused... lol. oh well. I will have to go look at some pictures and see how bad it really is i guess.
I have lots of pictures and tips if you get the STS. Let me know if you want to see them.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for my 06