Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo Kit for my 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Kize23

Default Turbo Kit for my 06

Whats up guys, I am looking to get a turbo kit for my 06 gt and was curious what all of you recommend. I was looking at either the Brensspeed hellion Package or HP Performance single turbo kit. Even looked at the STS kits. So if any of you have either of those two kits let me know how they are working out for ya.
Thanks,
Kize
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Kit for my 06

I was just looking online yesterday at a hp performance turbo. I'd like a turbo for my 06, but too much would be needed to make big power. Forged internals, replace my auto trans. a good dyno tune,etc. Too much for my budget. Hellion looks like a good kit, a little pricey though. Were you looking at the sts that mounts right before the axleback? Wonder how well tht spools.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Kize23

yeah i am lookin to get around 425 rwhp. I should be ok ona stock motor with that. Yeah STS are the ones mounted back where your mufflers would be. they say they don't have lag issues. But i can't speak from experience on that one. I just wonder why HP Performance kits are so much less? Quality not as good?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Hellion kit from brenspeed is your best bet as far as turbos go!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Are those numbers correct in you sig? Over 500 hp and torque at only 9 psi? If so what kind of numbers are you running in the 1/4? If you dont mind me asking. I was looking at a whipple HO but was worried about running 12 psi to get close to 500 hp, but if you can do it with only 9 than maybe Ill go turbo.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Based upon????

Don't rule out Powerhouse. I cannot make the same claim as that in the quote, sinceI have not tried any other. From personal experience, the Powerhouse turbo kit is an excellent trouble free product, has an upgrade path, and the aftersales service and support is amazing.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Turbonetics kit is very clean.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

Based upon????

Don't rule out Powerhouse. I cannot make the same claim as that in the quote, sinceI have not tried any other. From personal experience, the Powerhouse turbo kit is an excellent trouble free product, has an upgrade path, and the aftersales service and support is amazing.
Price and ease of install.

http://www.turbohorsepower.com/kits.html

But the twin kit here is the one i really want.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Kize23, I would also recommend the TurboHorsepower kit for the power levels you are looking for. Jim Napier is the man to talk to at THP. He is very busy but will call back if you leave a message and will answer all you questions he is great ot work with.

Earl
Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

as always, everyone has their own opinion. Personally I chose Hellion because Brenspeed is so close and they know those kits so well, and their service is 2nd to nobody. My advice rather than picking the kit, is picking the shop that will tune/install and see what they are familiar with. THP, Turbonetics, Hellion, Powerhouse, are all very similiar with little variations. STS is way different because of the rear mount (i'm not a fan, but just my $.02). As far as power, i'm only making 510ish with 13psi. Be careful of dyno numbers, every dyno is different. There's alot of other factors that go into that number (timing, fuel, compression ratio, etc). A turbo will generally give you a little more power per PSI, but not much. I know brenspeed has another hellion car with 420ish rwhp at 7 -8 psi and running 11.8's on a 5 speed. That's a pretty fast car with a motor that should last. In any case, you'll probably be happy with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for my 06