Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I may have a problem on my hands! Exhaust HEELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default RE: I may have a problem on my hands! Exhaust HEELP!

Cool thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Tighten the hell out of some u clamps on the factory muffs. They may rattle a bit on the ride over, from vibration, but will easily pass a visual, emissions test. go back home and install your slp's yourself. I change my stingers many time just sliding under the rear, no jack or stands. A little tight fit, but worth it. You could just back up on some boards in your garage for a little added room.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

check around where you are locally, get on some local mustang/muscle car forums and ask if there's any places that will pass you (wink wink). you may not have to switch them out.
or just tell them you got mid mufflers
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

The only reason for those **** is for the noobs at the factory to get a proper alignment! they dont really serve any other purpose. any axleback will fit on there just fine. use a good clamp and youll have no problem! FWIW the stationary clamp on the factory muffs seals damn good ( *** or no ***)....no worries!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

I am from Texas and you will be able to find a local gas station that will inspect your car. Just let the shop owner knowyour deal and they will most likely work with you on the inspection sticker. Just stay away from the larger chaingas stations or dealerships of course. Where are you at in Texas? The larger cities will put the probe in the muffler to check your emissions. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

West Texas, not a big town, and lot's of small ones around.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
cmkpdx78

When I had my stingers installed, the factory hangers did not match up properly, so the tech at the shop had to fab some hangers in the shop to make them fit properly. They look good except for a slightmisalignment. I don't think it was a problem with *****, but more of a muffler hanger problem.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

So what made you go with the LM's? Didn't you have like 300 threads started a while back about stingers and then supposedly purchased some borla's? What happened to those?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I know about this *** you talk about. I used to have Bassani Race axle-backs and they did not have the slit cut out for this ***. This confused me so I cut the slit myself with a grinder. Turns out that was not necessary but oh well. Those ended up being defective anyway and I got a replacement set and sold them (too much drone).

I now have Corsa and they also do NOT have the slit cut out for these ****. All you have to do is slide the muffler up to the *** and clamp it down hard and all is well.

Also, from what I've read online about texas inspections on the DPS site, the only cities that sniff the exhaust is Houston and Dallas areas (ASM test). The Austin area (and el paso) will only sniff the exhaust (TSI - or two speed idle test) if you have an old car without an onboard diagnostic system (OBDII). Now of course, physical inspection is probably done everywhere (or at least is supposed to) so putting on some kind of muffler will still be required.

I can understand the reasons behind inspections, but I still hate them. They want to take away all our fun. [:@]
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

1 - How you liking those slps?

2 - They are 50 state legal. You have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: I may have a problem on my hands! Exhaust HEELP!