Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I may have a problem on my hands! Exhaust HEELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I may have a problem on my hands! Exhaust HEELP!

Also, there is NO WAY I can get under my car without it being jacked up. I just won't fit! Even after jacking it up I still have a hard time under the car.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

whtcanbrwnd04u:
1 - How you liking those slps?

2 - They are 50 state legal. You have nothing to worry about.
I actually love the SLP's.
They are 50 state EMMISIONS legal. But the muffler is not part of the emmisions from what I hear.
The muffler law is there for sound, and while most police won't pull you over when it comes time for inspection it does say
in Texas under the DPS laws that a muffler is required for all vehicles.
That's where the problem comes into play. However, given what I have heard on the forums and from talking to people around here,
I can probablly find a place next year to get it inspected. Especially since the place that put them on for me does inspections.
I HOPEthey will. If not it sounds like them cutting those **** wont be a problem if I need to put the stockers back on
JUST for inspection, then put the SLP's back on.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

You should be good with the place that installed your exhaust. You have to look at all the trucks who only have glass packs on their trucks. Plus you are in west Texas where there is absolutly nothing around except El Paso. Good luck....
Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

No worries about taking them off as they will not affect your emissions testing in any state! Most "mufflers" just change sound and have no real performance gain at all just nicer sound. Its the LT's and removing CATS that will affect your emissions testing NOT your mufflers

EDIT: so they can fail you for being too loud........damn that sucks[:@]
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's entirely possible that more free-flowing mufflers can buy you a little power under certain conditions. Any lessening of backpressure does have the potential for reducing EGR flow, which would tend to benefit part-throttle performance/response (assuming that there's enough margin in your tune to keep the knock sensor from hearing anything it doesn't like). This probably means more in road course, auto-X driving, or street driving at less than WOTthan at the dragstrip.

Not sure how much a slightly lower EGR dose could affect emissions, or if the OBD IIhas any way of knowing or compensating for it.

Norm
Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

he might have something to worry about... in Maryland, Frederick in perticular... cops are crazy. SLP's are a good way to be slapped with a ticket for "illegally modified exhaust"... have had three friend so far that have gotten that ticket for SLP's...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a "catch-all" sort of infraction to me, and may be a judgement call. Do you know how Maryland"s requirements involving exhaust system modification are written (i.e. noise limitations, tailpipe exit locations,permissible replacement muffler types do not include straight-through designs, etc.)? I don"t think they can restrict you to only OE part numbers, otherwise the exhaust shops would be unfairly penalized on entirely necessary exhaust system replacement jobs.

Norm