Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cam Questions for the v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
tribaltek
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cam Questions for the v8

I have the FRPP Hot Rod cams (I was one of the first seven people to get them shipped from Sutton), and believe me when I tell you... you will NOT be able to drive the car reliably without getting a custom tune or working with Doug @ Bama (the only mail order tuner that would work with me on them).

I haven't had a dyno run yet, but I'll be posting when I do. My seat of pants dyno tells me I haul major *** at mid-upper RPM's. Low end torque was barely affected, if at all.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Thanks... I have been trying to decide on where to go for the custom tune. SuperChips gave me the name of the guy that would do them but again, only on the SCT tuner and if purchased through him.

When you went with Bama, were you satisifed and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of total price were you looking at?

I see you are running an 05 so I suspect I will still need a little different tune than what you have. Was Doug able to do yours with just the specs from Ford Racing and the infor on your existing mods?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

I just did a set of custom cams for a customer. He has the Ford CNC heads, and we put them on the flow bench and designed the cams accordingly. These are road race cams good to about 6200, and I can say without a doubt, will be better than any of these off the shelf cams, just by comparing specs. (don't ask) The stock springs are a decent spring, and good to about 550 lift, but we're upgrading to a superclean Pacalloy spring. They bump the seat pressure to 80# (stock are 60#) and are good to .600 lift. These are as good a spring as you can get and will be the last springs ever needed on this engine. I wouldn't run the stock springs to 7K rpm. They might "work", but I can guarantee you're leaving power on the table.
This customer's engine should be done on the next few weeks, and I'll be posting results. As has been mentioned with any cam change, the results are going to totally depend on the supporting mods. If you install Stg 3 cams in an otherwise stock engine, you're certainly not going to get favorable results. ON the other hand, if your cams are designed around your specific combination, then the results will be maximized. I'm not one for "one cam fits all" for that exact reason. If anyone is interested in getting the "right" cam for their combination, be it for the street, or all out competition, let me know.
Read up on the new Comp Cams cam phase limiter. That's a pretty interesting deal, there.