Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster Super 44 on 2008 GT? Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
mbernal99

Default Flowmaster Super 44 on 2008 GT? Mistake?

I am reposting this again, because some how it got erased.
Guys I need your opinion. I added a cold air intake kit and recently had Flowmaster Super 44 installed on my new 2008 GT. I was going to install Flowmaster American Thunders on them but I heard from several mufflers shops they can be a bid of pain to install them yourself on the 2008 GT. The curve on the pipe can be tricky to install on the 2008 GT. I believed them because I have noticed several changes Ford has done between the 2006's to the 2007+s. I have bought 2005 parts for my 2008 GT and they didn't fit. I went to the guy who installed Magnaflows on my 1999 V6. He did a great job. I went back to him to get my exhaust done for my new car. He recommended the Flowmaster Super 44 he said they are much lower then the American Thunders and it would cost about $100 less with installation. I have seen other 2007+ Mustang with Super 44 and they sound great. So I had them installed with 4" tips. As soon I started my car, that baby roared!! It was great, it sounded like an old school mustang! I was racing around town with my new exhaust and the car was turning heads. One guy stop me on the street tell me my mustang sounds great!
Next day, things changed. I was driving to work in the morning and the interior noise coming from the Super 44s was really bad. Around 1500 to 2000 rpms the droning coming from the exhaust is so loud some interior components started to rattle. This car comes with a hands free phone, when the droning starts I can't hear the people talking through my car speakers. At any other RPMs there is no droning. I drive in the city so I am always at that RPM droning range, so what can I do?
I called the flowmaster tech support and they told me that installing Super 44 on a 2008 GT was not a mistake. They cause to much interior noise! OH GREAT, no one told me that! He said I should have installed the American Thunder, because they are built for the 2005+ mustang to reduce droning at low RPMs. He said I can go install resonators and that should help reduce the interior droning but will reduce my outside noise. I called the guy who installed my mufflers and he said he can easily install resonators to reduce the droning, but it WILL greatly reduce my outside noise. He told me that he will try out some other ideas.
So what everyone's opinion? I love the outside noise, but I hate that droning. I have seen some guys on this forum able to use resonators and still keep pretty good sound. I have seen others able to move the droning sound to higher RPMs. If I can get the droning to about 1000 RPM higher, it would no problem. Racing this car is great no droning, but regular driving sucks.
Thank you.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Super 44 on 2008 GT? Mistake?

OMG dont get resonators!..youll kill your sound with onlythe stock midpipe. flowmasters are well known fortheir drone ,especially the 44s! you should have gotten the A/T axlebacks. ive never heard of anyone having any fitment issues with the 08s ( 05-08 are all the same). the A/Tsdont drone anywhere as bad as 44s ..just slightly if any. If you cant stand drone at all get corsas or GTAs! FWIW..if you want a deep & loud exhaust, youll have to deal with at least some drone!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If you don't want loud drone, then yes Corsa would be a great choice. I have them and there's NO drone at all. They're quiet when cruising and roar when accelerating.

You could also get pypes mid mufflers or boomtubes. They are louder than stock by quite a bit but don't have drone either.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

No Drone with my American Thunder. I was disappointed with how quiet they are at idle; but, my friends told me that when I passed them at WOTit was so loudsomeone on the cell with my friend said "what the h_ _ _ was that". They said it sounds great ! I got used to the quiet idle and now prefer it since sometimed I have to go to work at 430am and they sound TOO loud at that hour.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

If you don't want loud drone, then yes Corsa would be a great choice. I have them and there's NO drone at all. They're quiet when cruising and roar when accelerating.

You could also get pypes mid mufflers or boomtubes. They are louder than stock by quite a bit but don't have drone either.
Big +1
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

If you think the American thunders are quiet switch to stock for a day. I have had them on almost 2 years and put the stockers on the other day and WOW. The stock was so much quieter and had ZERO bass to it. It really made me happy with the flows. I too thought they were quiet on first install 2yrs back but CAI/Tune + Seriously broken in mufflers it is pretty loud.

BTW at WOT hell yea they are pretty damn loud.