Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

O/R midpipes, how much do they really help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R midpipes, how much do they really help?

Well, you people certainly put a lot more doubt in my head that was already there...

I will be running the midpipe with the stock mufflers, I don't have the money for different mufflers right now. After reading a few of these posts, my major concern is the fumes. How bad will it be?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I had the Bassani X. It def smells especally when sitting there idleing
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
fireguyty
1st Gear Member

I put the pypes o/r H from Brenspeed on my car, and love it. The sound is awsome with stock muffs. I had planned on getting mufflers for the car, but after the H I said no way. I get compliments on the sound all the time. I dunno about the X, but think about the H this way. It is only $180 which is cheaper than any mufflers. Mufflers add no HP, and start at about $250. So if you go with the H pipe you get better sound + a claimed HP increase, and you don't need mufflers. If you go X you have to have some one weld it up permanent + you need mufflers, but you get slightly more HP. As for my own sotp dyno on the H. . . . hard to say, but the sound made me smile. O yeah, and the H is an easy install.

Fumes, no. Enviroment, what ever (really if you are so enviromentally concerned why the hell did you buy a V8?). If it makes you sleep better at night smile about the .5 mpg you will gain. Acid rain mu hahaha.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Make sure you get your car tuned with your off road x. Getting some long tubes headers would be a nice idea. Throw both of those on and toss it on the dyno.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:23 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197

Make sure you get your car tuned with your off road x. Getting some long tubes headers would be a nice idea. Throw both of those on and toss it on the dyno.
I have a Diablosport Predator so I can turn off the rear o2 sensors myself, but I contacted Bamachips and had Doug send me a new tune just to be safe.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:24 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Is there anything I should be concerned/aware of with driving with an O/R pipe through the winter?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Is there anything I should be concerned/aware of with driving with an O/R pipe through the winter?

Nothing special about winter driving. I found the fumes to be a minor annoyance the first week. Now I don't even notice it unless the car's idleing and I'm outside in the back.

You're definately not gonna like the sound of the off road pipe with stock mufflers. Trust me, any chambered muffler will sound terrible. You might want to wait until you get a set of straight through mufflers before you install the x.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pClp0l-aN2E

Is this what it will sound like? It doesn't sound bad at all in that video. I know that Youtube video's can hardly translate the actual sound but still...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fireguyty

I put the pypes o/r H from Brenspeed on my car, and love it. The sound is awsome with stock muffs. I had planned on getting mufflers for the car, but after the H I said no way. I get compliments on the sound all the time. I dunno about the X, but think about the H this way. It is only $180 which is cheaper than any mufflers. Mufflers add no HP, and start at about $250. So if you go with the H pipe you get better sound + a claimed HP increase, and you don't need mufflers. If you go X you have to have some one weld it up permanent + you need mufflers, but you get slightly more HP. As for my own sotp dyno on the H. . . . hard to say, but the sound made me smile. O yeah, and the H is an easy install.

Fumes, no. Enviroment, what ever (really if you are so enviromentally concerned why the hell did you buy a V8?). If it makes you sleep better at night smile about the .5 mpg you will gain. Acid rain mu hahaha.
What X pipes are you looking at? Almost all of the ones I've looked at are bolt ons. Just keep your stock H in case you don't like it...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

While were on the topic of O/Rs. I have my bassani X installed with the cats on. Love the sound, can't complain about the performance that I felt in the sotp dyno. How much would throwing the cat delete pipes help? I want to know performance/mileage gains. I just went on a cruise for 130 mile round trip and before that had 60 miles where I was on the pedal all around town... MPG=22.97. BOOYAH

Quick Reply: O/R midpipes, how much do they really help?