Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cost for FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Default Cost for FI

I'm planning on going FI hopefully by end of this year and was wondering how much you guys spent for your FI kit. I'm currently looking at the Whipple and KB blowers at the moment. I only want opinions from people that have either kits. Which blower is more streetable? I don't go to the strip so only looking for street friendly kits. What would I need in supporting mods? I'm looking to make 450+ HP and want to go with the least cost as possible. Can you guys also post where you got it and the cost or PM the cost that you paid for your blower?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cost for FI

Look around on forums such as this one. From time to time you can get an awesome dealfrom someone who is going a different route or just needs money. If you can figure out which type of SC'er and which brand then your one leg up.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

You should be fine with both these blowers for a daily driver. Ive heard that kenne Bells run hot. Either way you should be fine. They should be around the same price. Give or take a couple hundred.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:51 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

everyone's right on......either one will
be awesome
Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

If you only ever want 450, I'd consider Saleen also. It's a twin screw like KB a Whipple.

By the time you're done with gauges, wheels, tires, fuel system, etc, expect to spend at least $7k for any of them.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Well eventually I'd like to make big power after building up the engine.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

If you're going to make big power, expect $15-20k by the time you do bottom end and suspension/rear end/DS
Old 06-21-2008, 07:05 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Well eventually I'd like to make big power after building up the engine
Lot's of folk, including myself, start off with one goal which morphs into another then another etc. It's gets real expensive when you mod...just to have to demod...to remod to reach adifferent goal.

If possible plan your first mod (to reach a short-term goal) with the long-term goal in mind. Try and allow for an upgrade path. Whether supercharger or turbocharger, there are options that allow for this.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

if you want 450 for now and plan on building a 500+ rwhp beastie Turbos might be your answer.. they can put out some huge numbers.. I don't think a Saleen can hit those numbers.. wouldn't recommend it (although that is the blower im planning on getting) KB and Whipple would be your other options.. if you were going to stick to 450 a lot of people recommend the paxton novi for daily drivers (spools up like a turbo so driving in lower RPM range is more streetable) and Saleen is a good low cost alternative. I'd recommend calling a couple of places, lethal performance, brenspeed.. see what deal they can get you and what they would recommend.

at 450 rwhp if you want to put all the power down without spinning everywhere expect to upgrade to wider rims and tires. and get LCAs(maybe UCAs too).. and modaddict recommends getting a BMR panhard bar too.

If you really want 500+ rwhp and a built motor you should do all the research first on what that takes (modaddict has several threads on the subject) before doing a single mod.

From my research effective 450rwhp would wind up costing me around 9-10k.. that would include some unnecessary but helpful mods.. such as a driveshaft. torque converter (cluth/flywheel for manual).. new gears. and the above mentioned neccesary mods. I don't know too many people on these forums who have 450rwhp w/o spinning like mad anytime they tried to floor it in 2nd so I don't know if we'll get any first hand experience in here or not for what mods you would need to be effective.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

Lethal is where I bought my Whipple. The company was very helpful and I received the SC in about10 days from the time I placed the order. Breenspeed has awesom deals on Paxton with good RWHP numbers. I can not spending money so the mods are worse than having a Harley. It seems everytime I read a thread it makes want a new mod,

Good luck

Quick Reply: Cost for FI