Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axlebacks for Adults

Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Axlebacks for Adults

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Flows sound nice. The only real complaint I hear-besides they arent as good as flows on previous stangs-is that theyre not that much louder than stock. They are a little louder than stock but add a nice rumble and a great idle. At WOT they do sound really good. I get alot of complements
+1. And the addition of JBA shortys really brought them to life..... What I like is that I can keep them as quiet as I want while cruising, or raise the volume, all with throttle control......

I was always under the impression that flows had some nasty drone????
Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

I think this is what I'm doing next:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJI96...eature=related
Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Flows sound nice. The only real complaint I hear-besides they arent as good as flows on previous stangs-is that theyre not that much louder than stock. They are a little louder than stock but add a nice rumble and a great idle. At WOT they do sound really good. I get alot of complements
+1. And the addition of JBA shortys really brought them to life..... What I like is that I can keep them as quiet as I want while cruising, or raise the volume, all with throttle control......

Yea? those shortys really make a diff? I was thinking of getting some myself. What are we talking here sound and power wise? haha
Scott
Old 06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

I was always under the impression that flows had some nasty drone????
I've heard that around these forums too. Idk what everyone's talking about. Flowmaster was late to the axleback market because the specifically tried to make the design around minimizing drone (which explains the quietness). The ONLY time I get drone is at 85-90 in fifth. otherwise when just cruising in fifth its nice and quiet
Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Am I one of the few people that doesn't mind drone or resonance? I like to feel my exhaust
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dschmink

Am I one of the few people that doesn't mind drone or resonance? I like to feel my exhaust
Ha. I just realized that I had the dreaded Stinger drone a couple of weeks ago. To me it sounds good. One day I'm cruising @75 mph and it hit me. I wondered: Is this what everyone's bitching about? I drive 600 miles a week and its never bothered me. Now if you wanted to talk drone, my 1979 Trans Am 455 with 3.73's and Cherry Bomb glasspacks really did it. I guess if you're not used to it, it might bother you.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

My camaro is horrible about drone. It's got cams and hooker headers and a full borla exhaust w/ exhaust cutouts... talk about drone and resonance. Can't even hold a conversation in the car with windows up!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

To me the real sound of aV8 is NOT the loud annoying low pitched hum inside the cabin at certain RPM's but rather the rumble outside the cabin(yes you should hear this inside the car as well). I shouldnt have to turn the radio up 3/4's of the way just to hear it over that wonderful low pitched hum.

Drone=Headache=Not happening in my car
Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SSGT

+1 on the GTAs. I had Stingers before and switched to the GTAs and I'm very happy. I couldn't stand the drone of the Stingers and they always sounded like you were giving it more gas than you were. Like you were making all this noise but going nowhere. That seemed kinda lame. Love the GTAs though. No drone but they scream when you get on it.
LOL! I had a Honda beside me that sounded just like that.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I get some around 1800-2200RPM in my car w/the boomtubes but it doesn't bug me. It's not loud enough that I have to turn up the radio or speak loudly in the car to be heard. I can understand that if you can't hear yourself think it would get obnoxious quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axlebacks for Adults