Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous with MSD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous with MSD?

OK,

So I was killing my Sunday afternoon planning my next little project and came upon a problem that I felt needed solving. Specifically, I was looking at adding a little giggle gas to the ride. After doing some research, I was a little disappointed to learn that I would loosesome significant poniesdue to the tune required to run 100+ shots on my baby. Now I understand the retarding the timing is critical to avoid bad things happening, but I also know from experience that there is always more than one way to accomplish anything. Additionally, I am habitually a lazy SOB, and the idea of uploading a tune everytime that I head to the track assumes that I would have remebered the damn tuner on my way out the door...NOT LIKELY. So after doing a little digging on MSD's site I think I came across what I think may be a solution, albiet a rather expensive one. MSD seems to have a solution for us S197 folk in the DIS-4, which will retard timing just prior to squirting N20 down your cylinders, and even has a 1 second delay on deactivation to help clear any remaining N2O out of the system. Now, it does seem to require a number of Ignition Adapters and a Dual Harness, but I think it is probably the solution for a DD that occasionally sees the strip, without the power loss associated with a dedicated N2O tune.

So, the question is...has anyone tried this on a S197, or heard about it from a friend of a friend? If not, and you have some knowledge or insight into how this might or might not work, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again guys and Gals!
~Matt
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous with MSD?

Bump...

Come on guys and gals...anyone?

LOL,
~Matt
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

no never herad of it i just drive around with my nitrous tune most of the time
Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I think you could safely run the 100 shot, with colder plugs, and a basic tune with higher octane. No expert here though. I wouldn't drive around with my nitrous tune running my dd all the time. Haven't heard of anyone running that msd on a s197.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
johnrigby

I have the same question "Has anyone installed & debugged " a system like this. I can to the same configuration when trying to engineer a N20 system for my car. Using a Nitrous Express controller and the MSD setup ( including their COPS) this in theory should be the optimum steup for street/strip use. Step retard and two step launch built in . Tune for no N2O and then setup up the step for 2 degress per 50 shot. Don't forget this all needs to be dyno'd too.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I don't understand the problem, though. It takes about 60 seconds to upload a new tune. I keep my tuner in my center console, so it's always with me. It's always good to refresh your tune, anyways, because of the adaptive learning program built into the car's computer.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

There is no real problem, as I stated originally, other than I am lazy and would prefer to be able to play when I want without having to load a tune or loose the HP from the tune running all of the time.

However, and more importantly, its an opportunity to test and troubleshoot a Mod for our cars that no one seems to have tried yet! Which in my opinion is reason enough to try it...but I would like edjcated opinions on it first LOL.

~Matt