Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hot Rod Cams Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

Default Hot Rod Cams Ordered

I pulled the trigger and ordered the hot rod cams, but know I need the proper tools. Anyone know where I can pick up the Rotunda 303-1039 valve spring compressor and the 303-1175
Timing Chain Wedge? I was looking for used, but with no luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hot Rod Cams Ordered

Sorry no help on the tools but, I'm dying to here that thing when you are done. You gotta post a video!!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I went through this on my engine rebuild ended up taking to ford to get them to put the cams on the heads WEAK!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid

Sorry no help on the tools but, I'm dying to here that thing when you are done. You gotta post a video!!!!!
I'll post a video when I get them in, for now I am just trying to decide if I will do the install or the dealer. The service manager is checking on weather they will still honor my warranty. He is trying to get it in writing if he can do that then I will most likely have them do the install.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I am going through the exact same thing. The dealer is checking on the extent of warranty. I have my FRPP cams on order (M-6550-3V) Hot Rod Cams. The dealer told me that they felt the engine would still be under warranty; however, a cam failure or an engine failure attributed to the cams would not be covered. They are looking to confirm. I only have about 1300 miles on my car so I am very interested in this outcome. (But... I am going to do it anyway!) I also have the FRPP 3.73 gears sitting waiting to go in at the same time and I am getting ready to order the BBK equal length ceramic coated shorty headers also.

When did you order your cams? These are currently on back order at Ford Racing and they could only guess 4 - 6 weeks but could not confirm. There were about 12 or 13 on the back order list ahead of me when I ordered a week or so ago. Not sure how many they normally receive in a shipment either since these are so new. Did you get an expected delivery??

I noticed that you are asking about the valve spring tool. These cams do not require spring modes, in fact, Ford Racing conveyed to me that changing the springs to a stiffer spring will result in failure over time.

You will need a custom tune with these cams. Talk with doug@bamachips.com. He has just completed a dyno tune on a setup with these cams and has a custom tune for the SCT tuner.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'm a noob to cams.but what's the trouble in changing out the springs/retainers at the same time as getting cams??
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

This is a direct quote from an email that I received from Ford Racing regarding the use of the FRPP Hot Rod Cams for the 4.6 3V engine. FRPP Cam P/n M-6550-3V.
If stiffer than production springs are used the VCT phaser will make a ticking noise and eventually fail. Stock springs have been used with this cam up to 7000 rpm.

I posted the complete email with cam specs on a thread on a different forum. It can be found at:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...m-upgrade.html

Good luck on your install. I can't wait for mine.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

I am going through the exact same thing. The dealer is checking on the extent of warranty. I have my FRPP cams on order (M-6550-3V) Hot Rod Cams. The dealer told me that they felt the engine would still be under warranty; however, a cam failure or an engine failure attributed to the cams would not be covered. They are looking to confirm. I only have about 1300 miles on my car so I am very interested in this outcome. (But... I am going to do it anyway!) I also have the FRPP 3.73 gears sitting waiting to go in at the same time and I am getting ready to order the BBK equal length ceramic coated shorty headers also.

When did you order your cams? These are currently on back order at Ford Racing and they could only guess 4 - 6 weeks but could not confirm. There were about 12 or 13 on the back order list ahead of me when I ordered a week or so ago. Not sure how many they normally receive in a shipment either since these are so new. Did you get an expected delivery??

I noticed that you are asking about the valve spring tool. These cams do not require spring modes, in fact, Ford Racing conveyed to me that changing the springs to a stiffer spring will result in failure over time.

You will need a custom tune with these cams. Talk with doug@bamachips.com. He has just completed a dyno tune on a setup with these cams and has a custom tune for the SCT tuner.
You need the valve spring compressor. It is used to reinstall the cam followers after the new cam is in place. You simply compress the valve and slide the followers back in place. If you do your own install be careful when compressing the spring because if the valve does not follow the spring and the keepers fall out then your valve will be sitting in the cylinder and you will be pulling the head off. I ordered mine on 6-24-08 from Late Model Restoration Supply and the ship date they gave me was 6-30 and it is to be sent 2nd day air (We'll see about that). As far as warranty the dealer told me no problem....Until I asked for it in writing, then their story changed. I do have another question if anyone knows. Can Doug send me a tune since I bought my sct
tuner from Brenspeed? When my tuner starts up it says Brenspeed I was wondering if they had specific software on the sct tuner. My thoughts were that it may not jive with Doug's tunes because of software issues?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

nope doug can send a tune and you can easily load it on there
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

nope doug can send a tune and you can easily load it on there
Thank you howarmart.