Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PO340 & PO344 CEL Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default PO340 & PO344 CEL Codes

This is the first time my Mustang has had a CEL appear and I've had it for almost 3 years.

These codessupposedly have to do with CAM POS?

I've tried doing a search on this specific forum but, of course, that function doesn't seem to ever show any results.

I've read on another forum that:

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1). The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor on Bank 1. The computer isn't getting a signal from the sensor. Sounds like either the sensor/sheilding is bad or there's a mixup with the wiring somewhere.

I did notice that while driving with my cruise control set at 50 MPH my car seemed to stutter or waver in motion while still moving forward. I did NOT notice my RPM's to move up or down though. I haven't had any problems starting the car or had it stall on me (knock on wood). My car doesn't seem to run like it had whiledriving with cruise control on (trying to avoid speeding tickets).
I don't know if it has to do with these CEL codes or my driveshaft or my 3.73 gears.

Should I check some sort of sensor or what would you recommend?

I just cleared both codes with my SCT handheld tuner...hoping they don't reappear.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PO340 & PO344 CEL Codes

The CEL appeared again and I'm still experiencing the same Error Codes PO340 and PO344.

I do notice that while accelerating I hear an extra sound coming from the engine I never heard before.

It's sounds almost like a very faint whining/whirring.

That's definately not a good sound to have, especially since the Whipple HO kit I ordered hasn't even arrived at my doorstep yet.

Any tips, suggestions?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

The code means the circuit to your cam pos sensor is not getting enough voltage. You will need to replace your alternator. There is a TSB on this, and would be covered under warranty if you're still under the 3 year 36K mile mark. If not, rockauto.com sells the replacement alternator for around $400. If you ignore this problem long enough, (like i did) you will end up with a dead battery... [:'(]
Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

It couldn't just be the cam sensor?

The Ford dealer can't prove it has anything to do with my CAI and Tune?

They have seenthe CAIon my car and haven't said anything, to me anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

As mentioned, if you're still under warranty, go have the dealership replace it. If not, then you should consider the PA Performance alternator along with the wire kit.

http://www.pa-performance.com/Script...?idproduct=247

http://www.pa-performance.com/Script...p?idproduct=89
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

scramblr

Thank you for the information and the links.

My 3 years or 36,000 mile warranty has not expired yet, however I'm afraid they will tell me my CAI, Tune or other aftermarket parts contributed to this.

I scheduled an appointment for the dealer to fix this and do the passenger side airbag recall.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

You can always take your CAI off and re-flash to stock. That's what I did before the blower. I did have the UDPs in there, so they either didn't notice them or didn't care.

Also, make sure when they do the Air Bag module TSB that they do not flash the PCM, only the required module. You may also want to pull your stratergy code with the handheld in-case they do re-flash your PCM so you don't get stuck.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the information.

I wrote down the Strategy Code from day one (mine is about 7 characters long), but I wouldn't know what to do with it if the dealer did reflash/update my PCM without my permission.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

If they do that, do not re-flash the tune to the PCM, your car will be dead and you also will not be able to re-flash the stock tune. You will need to have your tuner re-do the tune with the new stratergy code. Best bet is to put the stock airbox back in with the stock tune. Then check the stratergy code when they are done. If it's the same, you're good to go, if not, contact your tuner.

Of course you could talk to the dealer to ensure they only update the airbag module and not the PCM.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

So I removed my aftermarket CAI and re-installed the factory **** box and stock tune and the CEL is gone.

I assume it's because the PCM was reflashed?

The dealer said do not remove/clear the DTC and I didn't on purpose but I had to return to the stock tune.

Will the dealer still be able to diagnose this?

Oh by the way...

Returning to the stock intake and tune is painful and boring to drive.

I have 3.73 Gears and a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, but my car now drives like I'm pulling a boat behind.

CAI and a tune sure do wake up the automatics.

Quick Reply: PO340 & PO344 CEL Codes