Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust questions - what to buy (MAC ABs installed!)

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust questions - what to buy

in terms of engine drone, i seem to have seen more people complaining with the borlas than anything else. how is it in comparison to the mac abs with an o/r pipe??

and wow just found some vids of a mac o/r with mac axelbacks and im really liking that sound
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

and im guessing o/r pipes are not street legal anywhere. for those of you who have them, how do you get around passing emissions? or do you all just live in states with no emission laws?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, ive had the both the macs and borlas. macs were the worst! loved the deepness but the drone was as bad as ive ever experienced! an O/R pipe will further amplify the drone. borlas are a notch or 2 below macs but still drone. if you cant stomach drone on any level, change your mind on deep ,cause deep almost always come with some drone. personally Im not a fan of bad drone, but i love the borlas drone( if that makes any sense)...I wouldnthave it any other way! hope this helps you some.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

O/R pipes are illegal everwhere. If your state has emissions testing youll need to replace your factory pipe till after you pass!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

how hard is it to add/remove the cats? looking at some stuff on ebay right now theres a bassani x-pipe that comes with the cats and o/r pipes.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Yea ive got the bassani modular X pipe. had the cats welded on so i cant say for sure, but ive been told its a PITA to try to swap out the cats for straits & vice-versa! probably better off just getting an O/R pipe and swapping the whole thing out for inspection if you want something really louder.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Keep the CATS and the h-pipe for a deeper sound (just saved you money) and get magnaflow mufflers or MAC's ....read many good things about the MAC's. I have the magnaflows and love the deep rumble (granted they are magnapacks, I have the stock h-pipe and CATS, and I have side exit exhaust-which makes it seem much louder!) But I attribute the sound to the h-pipe and the mufflers.....without the CATS it is extremelt loud at WOT and start up but cruising and idle is fine! JMO
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

thinking about going to mustang magic tomorrow to pick up the MAC axel backs. (wouldve today but theyre closed!) heard some youtube vids with stock GTs except for mac axel backs and i think they sound great. if i decide to have them install it, what would you guys think is appropriate? would do it myself but i dont have ramps yet =P
Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nyc06gt

thinking about going to mustang magic tomorrow to pick up the MAC axel backs. (wouldve today but theyre closed!) heard some youtube vids with stock GTs except for mac axel backs and i think they sound great. if i decide to have them install it, what would you guys think is appropriate? would do it myself but i dont have ramps yet =P
Do it yourself. I dont have ramps and put them on in my garage with simple hand tools. Very easy install.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

wasnt too hard centering the tips? i heard it can be a pain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust questions - what to buy (MAC ABs installed!)