Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default Gains?

What kind of gains would you get from changing from 3.55 to 3.73 or 4:10? No HP gains just torque right? Does anyone have a number of what your torque gains would be? Also what kind of gains would you see changing from a stock drive shaft to a one piece alum drive shaft?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Gains?

Dont think it works that way...you dont add HP or torque but change the RPMs to which you get that power to the ground. You will get .2-.4 shaved off your 1/4 mile time with the 4.10 (maybe) but it is a gear and it effectively changes the way the power you already have gets to the ground. See what I mean?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I understand about the gears, I wasn't sure if it actually gave you better numbers. What about the DS is it the same thing? Also my car is my DD and I'll be putting on a non IC S/Cer next week what do you think is a better gear to go with 3:73 or 4:10? I will be going to the track when I get out of Hawaii and get back to the mainland some time when the snow melts next spring
Old 07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

For a DD I would do 3.73 but the gains wont be as big (as far as shaving time off your E.T.) Some will disagree but the 3.55 I have now that I have an S/C is actually all I need for a show car/pleasure driving car. From 3.55 to 4.10 you will see in fifth gear at 80 MPH only 300 more rpms cruising than the 3.55 so many will say get the 4.10 for a DD even with the S/C. It all comes down to what you want to achieve and if you can drive in stangs that have the different size gears that would definitely help in your decision. The DS is the same as it will free up the HP you have from the motor and help get that power to the ground. I will be getting one of those when I have the funds. I will probably not get the gear until I have gotten the clutch, DS, and new flywheel. The clutch will be a twin disc and the DS will be up to 23 lbs lighter than the stock 2 piece. The flywheel will be aluminum (less rotational mass) so the power the car already makes gets to the ground easier and with much more smoothness.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Nice!!!! Thanks for the quick replies, good luck with your future mods.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

great info...
but how much power does it 'feel' like it has gained,say from 3.31s to 4.10s?

dying to get them installed but bills are in the way right now [:'(]

call me crazy but I am expecting to feel as if the car 'gained' or freed up an extra 30-40whp lol

Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

You cant really measure on a HP basis...its more just seat of the pants feel.

I went with the 4.10s and the car pulls sooo much harder from the hole, and its in every gear.

Just pushes you back in your seat...

I was skeptical at first with the gears...if i had to start all over again, they would be my first mod on the car. No doubt, best bang for buck...well, with CAI and tune.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 AM
MasterMike

Speaking of the gears, do you have to buy anything else along with the 4.10? Like bearing kit, installation kit, Royal Purple? I won't do the installation myself...I was looking at it on americanmuscle.com...
Old 07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Gears have and always will make your motor come alive. It's my next MOD for sure.
As far as how much does it "feel" like...well, I've done it before back in the day. I bet
it "feels" like you got more HP/TQ from the gears than the CAI/tune. Since you're at
3.55...you'll need to go to 4.10's to feel the big difference you're looking for.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I've had my 4.10s in for a month now and I still get a huge smile every time I punch it in first. Nothing feels better than getting thrown into the seat

Quick Reply: Gains?