Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are all Tunes created equal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
blkonblkgt

Default Are all Tunes created equal??

Hi All

I recently bought a CAI and an XCAL2 for my 08 GT. I got it for a really good price so I said what the heck.The CAI is made by DeMolet (Tunable Induction). It's alright but I will be changing it. Anyways... I'm running a 91 octane tune that DeMolet sent me and it's okay but not great. I noticed it seems to be running a little rich(no smoke that I've noticed but strong exhaust smell), it bogs down pretty bad under 3000 RPMs but once it hits 3000+ I can notice a decent power difference. Could it but a bad tune? Should I go with someone like Brenspeed? I've heard nothing but good things about them. Could it be that I just need to adjust the tune DeMolet sent me? I'm really new to tuning any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
JC
08 Black GT
Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Are all Tunes created equal??

IMO Brendspeed and BAMA are the best from mail order tunes! Hard to say if your tune is bad as the best way to diagnose a problem with a tune is to do some data logging and get on the dyno. Welcome to the forum and others will chime in with their experience... Happy Independence Day to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting drunk soon as I just got canceled from the hospital tonight
Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
blkonblkgt

Right on! Thanks for the info. There is an SCT dealer here in town, that's probably gonna be the easiest way of getting it to run the way it should.Another question..... after CAI and tune, would what be the best bang for my buck as far as HP gains without adding a supercharger? I appreciate thehelp.

JC
08 Black GT
Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

well after the cai and tune its a toss up depending on what you want to do.
my suggestion would be to sit down and figure out what you don't like about your car the most...
not loud enough? quick enough? handles poorly?
you could do underdrive pullies thats advertised as an 8-10 hp gain
1 piece driveshaft will free up hp to the wheels and improve quickness
new gears will throw you back in ur seat and b!tchslap you when you get on the throttle
longtube headers, x pipe w high flow cats or O/R x/h will give you some decent hp, mostly from the LTs. believe that'd get you 20-30hp

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

+ 1 on gears-

check out this vid I found on you tube,nice launch!!~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQkR8gR-RI
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I have both tuners tunes and both Bamachips and Brenspeed tunes make great power, improve throttle respose, firm up shifts, etc. However if you have an Auto I recommend going with Bamachips, the things he does with the automatic transmission is amazing and there really is no comparison.

Tim
Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
blkonblkgt

Cool Guys...Appreciate the info. I think I'll see what a Brenspeed tune will do for me. All I know is that I'm not getting the power I should be. Gears sound like a good idea. Will 3.73 kill me on the highway, or are they a good all around gear? My car is a 5 speed manual.

JC
08 Black GT
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

You may also want to see about a VMP tune. I have it and have had pretty good results. No engine pinging and overall feels like a solid tune.
As for gears, might as well go 4.10 if you have a manual.
Your car should be stock with 3.55 if you have that option, if not that's alright.
3.73s will give you a bit more acceleration but won't throw you back in the seat like a set of 4.10s.
As for highway mileage, I still average almost 28-30 mpg on the highway cruising at 60-65...
You'll only see 300 more rpm VS 3.55 gears with the 4.10s at 80mph so that's up to you.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If that's the case then 4.10s are now on my list of mods TODO.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
blkonblkgt

UNFORTUNATELYi DON'T HAVE THE 3.55s. I believe they're 3.27 or something like that. That being said...IF I did go with 3.73, I would notice quite a bit on difference compared to what I'm running now right? The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing the gears next.

JC
2008 GT Premium Black
5 Speed Manual

Quick Reply: Are all Tunes created equal??