Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PI Torque Converter and Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

Default PI Torque Converter and Related Questions

Howdy,

I am the proud owner of an 08 GT/CS Auto with about 2300 miles. I currently have a C&L CAI with FRPP Stingers and am about to get 3.73s installed as soon as I have some time this week, or the next. Well the guy at the shop recommended me getting a PI Torque Converter to reap the full benefits of the gears and the car itself. I don't know much about TCs so I have a few questions and perhaps you all can help me.

1). Is ~1450 a good quote for the PI Torque Converter and install? I've looked up the part and the TC itself is about $900 I believe.

2). Is PI a good TC manufacturer? I don't mind paying extra for the good quality but the Streetfighter TCI is about $500 and I would rather save me those $400 if I am getting the same quality. Any other brands you all recommend?

3). What is the factory stall speed and what stall speed should I get? I believe these are customizable from like 2300rpm to Whatever rpm. Anyways, what is the best stall speed to run on a TC for the few mods that I have.

4). Is it really worth the investment? I am getting LT headers in the near future ( either Kooks or ARH, I still have not decided or am even sure that I want them after reading some posts here but thats another discussion all together). Is it better to get the TC first and headers at a later time (total overall cost should be about the same).
Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PI Torque Converter and Related Questions

5). Will I need new tunes for this? ( I am already have the tunes for my 3.73s and I know that headers will require a tune to once again reap the full benefits from them).

The shop owner guaranteed me half a second off with the addition of the TC. Is this realistic? Any and all input is really appreciated.

Thanks

This thing would not let me post all in one post. Had to edit and add one line at a time. Sorry, newb here.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I would do the TC first then the headers. The TC will give you much more bang for the buck than the headers will. That is a good price if it is the Multi-Plate version of the PI converter. They make a regular and a multi-plate version, the multi version is the only one to have.

Earl
Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

$1450 for the PI triple disc installed is a fair price. As to not get too far away from the stock feel, I suggest a 3000 stall speed, the factory stall being 2450. You will get better performance from the TC than you will from the headers. The TC will help your launch, thus your 60 times if you go to the track. Just be sure you can get the power to the ground. When I had my TC in, my current rear tires felt like they were on ice.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Ive had Fuddle Racing recommended to me, I think they would be in the $600 range for our cars if memeory serves.

http://www.fuddleracing.com/
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

3,500 stall MD FTW !!!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Is the OP trying to get a lock-up torque converter? If so he should consider it. The stall speed of TC will lose a lot of low rpm mpg, and a lock-up version will make it back driving on the highway, in addition to being slightly faster.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 AM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

How much of a drop in the low end mpg are we talking about here? I wouldn't mind one or two mpg less (currently getting about 14) but if it comes down to 3 or over, I might have to rethink it ( 10 mpg city would be very crappy!)
Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I didnt had any mpg loss in city, in hwy I got better Mpg.

btw what kind of tune fo you have? or from who is it?

The best tune it worked with my car with the TC was Bama Race tune, the others didnt had a good synchro with the new TC. (Weird since tuners say they dont require a new tune with a new TC.)
Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

I am running tunes from Bama. Currently running BAMA 93 Performance. I have the 93 Torque but not the 93 Race. Might be something I purchase in the near future.

Quick Reply: PI Torque Converter and Related Questions