Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MIL eliminators and inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MIL eliminators and inspection?

bump
Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MIL eliminators and inspection?

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

There should never be a problem passing an inspection if cats are in place and no MIL are on. If you have cat-less pipes, well, that was a choice you made knowing the consequences. Aftermarket exhaust systems are adequate, and perform well. There are no laws I am aware of saying that all factory equipment must be in place. If that were the case, then a statement like that could be interpreted as **** poorly as to include all parts. Which would mean no more parts stores. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects consumers, and gives them choices about where they can buy alternative parts.
SEMA took on California a long time ago and forced the state to come up with something that did not violate the act. The CARB exempt #'s is the result. As long as the emissions part in question meets the requirements for its intended use, it is given a #. No douchbag shop can say a car fails a visual inspection just because the parts used are not factory. Although, I believe I may have heard some crap about not replacing the cats unless they are defective. Dont know if its true or not, but I have not actually seen it in black and white print.
Since we are talking about cats, MILs and off road pipes here, any aftermarket converter will perform as well as a factory piece, however, they will not last as long due to less platinum content. There is less there to keep the cost down. With platinum over $1000/oz, it can get pretty damn expensive.

If a MIL comes on after a catted pipe is used, the light is coming on because it is running too lean. This is fixed by getting the car retuned. To say it is coming on just because 'it flows so much better' is notcompletely correct.

I own a shop in Kansas, and there are no inspections here. If there are particular individual circumstance where some of you cant pass the sniffer test, it would seem to be a good choice to get a bit more conservative tune available to yourself for these inspections to keep the MIL off. I'm all for pushing the performance envelope, but you can only go so far and remain emissions legal. It sucks that some of you live in states with somewhat draconian laws, but if you wanna play, you gotta pay.