Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MIL eliminators and inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default MIL eliminators and inspection?

Hey, I'm putting together a fully built engine package, and I've been hearing about lots of tunes NEEDING to disable the rear o2 sensors. This doesn't sound entierly accurate to me to need to turn o2 sensors off, but if it is accurate can I just set the o2 sensors to on using the SCT program and using MIL eliminators and have the same tune?

I'm planning everything out at the moment but I'm trying to plan a car that will pass inspection.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MIL eliminators and inspection?

I talked to the guys at Brenspeed about them once when I was figuring out what to do about headers. They said that with some of the catted header packages, it flows too well and throws a code and you get a CEL. Not sure about inspection but this will fail you in an emissions test. I assume an inspection too.

The bad news is, if your car is 2007 or newer, the MIL emilinators won't work at all.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:46 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i have a 2007,tried to do the eliminators and they did not work,had to use a tuner.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Guess I'm lucky that I have a 2006, what's the best set of plug and play ones?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

I talked to the guys at Brenspeed about them once when I was figuring out what to do about headers. They said that with some of the catted header packages, it flows too well and throws a code and you get a CEL. Not sure about inspection but this will fail you in an emissions test. I assume an inspection too.

The bad news is, if your car is 2007 or newer, the MIL emilinators won't work at all.
My inspection is OBD-II only. So with catted headers it flows so well that it always gives a CEL which is an emmisions FAIL, but with the rear sensors disabled it gives a NOT READY notice on the insection, so really with catted headers which I have it will never pass emmisions without a eliminator.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

So having a MIL elim will allow a car to pass the OBDII test? Not that I have to have that where I live now, but I will eventually.

I'm also concerned about this on 2008 models if I change to one of those.

If I can run LT w/ a prochamber (high flow catted likely) and pass the OBDII I'd be good.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

So having a MIL elim will allow a car to pass the OBDII test? Not that I have to have that where I live now, but I will eventually.

I'm also concerned about this on 2008 models if I change to one of those.

If I can run LT w/ a prochamber (high flow catted likely) and pass the OBDII I'd be good.
The way I understand it, it doesn't matter which header you choose, even catted version, you are not going to get through emissions. I guess it varies from state to state, but here in MD, you won't pass unless you get a cool state employee to look the other way.

Plus if they are super strict where you are, just the fact that the cats are in a different place is enough to fail you.

The MIL eliminators are supposed to fool the computer into thinking everything is fine, and if you're lucky you can pass the test. Anyone with '07 and up though...screwed.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
chabbz182
1st Gear Member

That is not true I have longtubes and high flows and i passed.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Since you're from the Dallas area and you passed with those then that makes me feel a bit better. I know the Dallas and Houston areas are some of the most strict areas in Tx for emissions. I'm about 25 miles or so from Austin.

What year do you have and is your rear o2's disabled in the tune or do you have MIL elims?

Quick Reply: MIL eliminators and inspection?