Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need a better battery!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
dragonmike

Default Need a better battery!

Hey guys!

This is my first post on these forums!

I'm the proud owner of a Roush 420RE (European version of the Stage 3, basically) since mid-2006.

Well, after having my Motorcraft BXT 40R battery dieing for the 4th time on me (after less than a week of not moving the car), reading various forums to find out what to do, I've decided to replace the battery with something of much better quality.

I've looked at this one: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...de=BATMAX900DC

It's 17mm shorter, 2mm narrower but 30mm higher than the BXT 40R. Do you think it will fit? It's got a capacity of 50Ah but 900 Cranking Amps and is designed to withstand excessive discharge and recharge cycles. That should be pretty good for a car that doesn't move much.

By the way I got a 2006 Roush 420RE. I'm just concerned it might be too high to fit under the hood... Whacha think?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need a better battery!

If height is the only worry, cut a styrofoam block to the thichness that would match up with the difference between the two batteries. Sit on the highest point of the existing battery and then close the hood. Then open the hood and see if the styrofoam block was crushed at all or the hood pad has an indentation. You may also want to try cutting the block slightly larger in height just to be sure there could not be some rubbing later. If this new battery is a top post, I would also make sure there is a good terminal post cap on top.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

while you are at it you could just relocate the battery to the trunk, it's a decent mod to do but rarely gets done. I would make the dealership troubleshoot the problem for you if it's possible.. or whoever is covering the warranty on it. Something is probably drawing current when it's not supposed to.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Dragonmike, just a thought.... I am guessing the battery is about 3 yrs old based on you saying that you have owned the car since mid 2006. Given that, I suspect the battery is just at its end. In the states, you can go to many autoparts stores and they will test your battery and charging system free if you are buying the battery from them. The dealer may also do this check for you but I suspect the price for the battery and installation may be a little more.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:32 AM
dragonmike

ORIGINAL: Mishri

while you are at it you could just relocate the battery to the trunk, it's a decent mod to do but rarely gets done. I would make the dealership troubleshoot the problem for you if it's possible.. or whoever is covering the warranty on it. Something is probably drawing current when it's not supposed to.
Well I had it tested two weeks ago at the dealership and they didn't find any specific drain (at least nothing that would drain it that quickly). So I've just come to the conclusion the battery has come to the end of its existence...

Don't think I'll do the trunk-mod, as I happen to use the trunk quite often, and there should be enough room in the front... By the way, is a battery installation that complicated? I'd order the battery and switch it myself, I think.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Very simple. Usually one tie down strap to undo and then the two battery posts. Disconnect the red wire (+) post first, then the black wire (-)post. Reconnect in reverse order, black first then red. Do not overtighten the hold down strap to where it could crack the battery case.

Sometimes the battery is delivered dry with the acid ina seperate bag. If so, fill the batter outside of the car before you install. Make sure the outside of the battery is clean and dry so that there is no residual acid to corrode anything under your hood.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
dragonmike

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

Very simple. Usually one tie down strap to undo and then the two battery posts. Disconnect the red wire (+) post first, then the black wire (-)post. Reconnect in reverse order, black first then red. Do not overtighten the hold down strap to where it could crack the battery case.

Sometimes the battery is delivered dry with the acid ina seperate bag. If so, fill the batter outside of the car before you install. Make sure the outside of the battery is clean and dry so that there is no residual acid to corrode anything under your hood.
LOL, I just checked out this tutorial... http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...-car-battery-2

...and the dude clearly says to remove the negative first!
Basically, I don't think it'll matter, knowing my current battery is deader than dead!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
dragonmike

Well, tested it myself putting an old book that was just over 30mm thick... and it touched the underside of the hood. So that Exide battery is a no-no

So my next question: what battery would you recommend that you know would fit, and does a better job than the Motorcraft? I mean, if I have to, I'll replace it with the same... but I don't like replacing crap through crap, usually
Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Mine died three weeks ago and I just went to Sears and bought a Diehard.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Hey Mike, install a light weight (only 14 pounds) battery like an Odyssey.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/41D5987C553941B99448A9064A8F34F6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/23B7ECB68EB643E8825C6B5E78565B27.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Need a better battery!