Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
WFdeac11

Default Failed inspection

Today I took my gt to get it inspected... but failed. My setup includes a JLT CAI, Xcal3 tuner, and full slp xpipe which came with new cats. I figure the reason I failed is due to my tune. However, I cannot return the car to stock tune without putting the stock intake back on. It's not that big of a deal to do so, but I was wondering if there was any simpler route to take. Also, could I have failed due to the new cats? I have put plenty of miles on the car since any modifications. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
doc0075579
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Failed inspection

Where did you get your tune and where are you located? I am in MD and I had to have Doug from Bama send me a tune that would allow me to pass inspection. I loaded it up and it worked like a charm.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
WFdeac11

I recieved my tune from Brenspeed and I am in NC.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Did they tell you why it failed? Maybe this is rear o2 related due to the high flow cats?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
WFdeac11

They said that it appeared that I had reset the computer or that i had removed the battery cable recently. But I haven't done either of those for months, and it's my daily driver. They said the only thing they could tell me was to put some more miles on it and bring it back, but I know that's not the problem. (Unless it takes like 2,000 miles before it will pass inspection)
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Talk to brenspeed to make sure your tune is smog friendly, if not they'll send you one that is as stated above.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i had to do this to my ride. was because the tuner i used cuts off the rear o2 sensors. which is exactly what the sheet told me i failed for. i returned mine to stock and 3-4 days later. got everything to reset and passed with no problem. soon as i got back to the housere-installed cai and tunes. just more of a pain inmy a** than anything. good luck

why didn't you keep the factory airbox?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WFdeac11
They said that it appeared that I had reset the computer or that i had removed the battery cable recently. But I haven't done either of those for months, and it's my daily driver. They said the only thing they could tell me was to put some more miles on it and bring it back, but I know that's not the problem. (Unless it takes like 2,000 miles before it will pass inspection)
Im assuming they did an OBD-II port scan test. This test has two parts:
1) are emission sensors ready.
2) are any DTCs present (diagnostic trouble codes)

Based on your statement it sounds like you failed part 1. This could be due to a variety of reasons, including those they told you (reset computer, un-hook battery). It can also be due to too many sensors turned off. This is probably the reason, i.e. you probably have your rear O2 sensors or other emissions sensors turned off by your tune.

The fastest way to pass (hopefully)is to re-install stock intake and tune. Drive if for &gt; 50 miles with a couple of stops. Of course I'm assuming the rear O2 sensors are installed and hooked up. This however is not guaranteed to work, the high flow cats may not do as good of job of scrubbing the exhaust and without a 'emissions' tune you are out of luck. So the second way is to go back to Brenspeed and see about an 'Emissions' tune.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed Tune has disabled rear 02 sensors (So you can run ORH or ORX).
If this was the issue....

Load the canned SCT Tune (its in the regular instead of custom menu).
Set MAF Tube Diameter for the JLTII and leave R. O2 sensors on.

After the test you can reload your Brenspeed Tune.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

what kind of test did they do?

exhaust probe? or OBD?

If it was exhaust probe, its not cuase of the rear o2s...they are mainly there to ensure your cats are working properly, but if it was an OBD test, then yes, that would fail you...

Quick Reply: Failed inspection