Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Ford Racing Hot Rod CAM M-6550-3V

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 AM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Ford Racing Hot Rod CAM M-6550-3V

ORIGINAL: gothamems

ORIGINAL: blackS197

ORIGINAL: deekum1627

i want to get them but i wanna do other mods 1st
Aside from supercharging my car, which will happen in the Spring, I'm running out of stuff to do to my car, performance wise....thought I'd never say that...

Get some cams for a SC setup and wait for your supercharger.
That's my plan, . I absolutly LOVE how a cammed car sounds! What I like about this cam is that it's engineered especially for the 4.6 3V by Ford, and with the exception of a little tunning, it's pretty much, set it and forget it. I'm looking to compliment it with a Whipple 500HP SC in the Spring. Soooo with my CAI, SCT X3, FRPP shortys, full Magnaflow exhaust incliding high flow cats and x pipe to Magnapacks, FRPP cam, Steeda UDP, the Whipple, I figure a consrvative 525HP to the pavement.
ya 525 to the wheels then POP goes the weasel!!
Well if ur engine isnt forged it will go BOOM!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

after I get springs, uca, lca, shocks/struts then ill probably get them.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197

ORIGINAL: deekum1627

i want to get them but i wanna do other mods 1st
Aside from supercharging my car, which will happen in the Spring, I'm running out of stuff to do to my car, performance wise....thought I'd never say that...

Get some cams for a SC setup and wait for your supercharger.
That's my plan, . I absolutly LOVE how a cammed car sounds! What I like about this cam is that it's engineered especially for the 4.6 3V by Ford, and with the exception of a little tunning, it's pretty much, set it and forget it. I'm looking to compliment it with a Whipple 500HP SC in the Spring. Soooo with my CAI, SCT X3, FRPP shortys, full Magnaflow exhaust incliding high flow cats and x pipe to Magnapacks, FRPP cam, Steeda UDP, the Whipple, I figurea consrvative 525HP to the pavement.
Dont you loose the UDP if you get a blower?

It would be Under driving the blower since its a whipple
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Well those FRRP cams netted 14 RWHP for one of the guys on here. That is with no other mods. Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

ya 525 to the wheels then POP goes the weasel!!
Well if ur engine isnt forged it will go BOOM!!
Did yours blow or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

You need blower grind cams in order to see any gain on a fi car, the stage 1 cams and frpp hot rod cams may give some extra to a non fi motor but will not really do anything at all once its topped with a blower. 520 to the ground on a stock block may go boom and it may not, alot depends on how you treat the car. The weak point of the block is the pistons for one, the stock pistons have less clearence from the rings to the top of the piston and hyper pathetic pistons have always been a weak point. I have seen some with fractures in them that came out of minimally boosted blocks (7-10 lbs). Just remember this motor was desighned for 275 or so rear wheel horsepower and if you double it it is just adding twice as much stress so its only a matter of time before something will fail.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

+1 Ruffnuts
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

OK, sorry if this has been discussed, but the search option on the site is dead and I'm very interested in this CAM ands what you guys think. I called Ford Racingtoday,they're expecting 50 pieces by the end of the week, the rep told me they sold out IMMEDIATLY! What do you guys think? How many of you plan on installing them in your car? How much should a CAM swap run? Is it worth the 30 extra HP?
For those who seem as though they're going off on a different tangent, the above was my inital inquary. Specific to this new cam set up, and not to jumping on a band wagon. Primarily...is it worth doing...or not?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

That's my plan, . I absolutly LOVE how a cammed car sounds! What I like about this cam is that it's engineered especially for the 4.6 3V by Ford, and with the exception of a little tunning, it's pretty much, set it and forget it. I'm looking to compliment it with a Whipple 500HP SC in the Spring. Soooo with my CAI, SCT X3, FRPP shortys, full Magnaflow exhaust incliding high flow cats and x pipe to Magnapacks, FRPP cam, Steeda UDP, the Whipple, I figurea consrvative 525HP to the pavement.
UDPs will underdrive the SC too. So you have to get rid of it with a SC.
Your CAI can't be used with the whipple.
And you won't use your tuner unless you get a mail tune or dyno tune. Whipple HO kit comes witha procal tool that recallibrates your car with the FRPP tune.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
HCOR

I called the dealer today to get a price for them installed in my 08- $1900 and that doesn't include a different tune for them. I'll be holding off for awhile.

Quick Reply: New Ford Racing Hot Rod CAM M-6550-3V