Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
EvilJay

Default Brake squeak

Ok...time for another funny noise question, wondering if anyone else has had this issue...

I am getting a squeaking noise on my '08 GT (1,800 mi)that sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the car, and it gets more steady as my speed increases, which leads me to believe that it's a rotating part rather than a suspension related sound. On the other hand, it seems to be more noticeable on rough roads.

I took it to the dealer, and they turned all4 rotors, since they hada bit of corrosion and aslightly uneven wear pattern.I figured it was a good start since the car is a 7/07 build date, and I just bought it in May, so it had some corrosion from sitting on the dealer lot through winter. That fix lasted about 10 miles, and the noise is back, and it's driving me nuts. Has anybody else on here had a similar problem with their '05 and up? Is there a known issue with the rotors on the S197's, or some other common issue with these cars that could be causing this?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
llamatymer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Brake squeak

If it is the brake, maybe bleed the system to see if there are any air bubbles in the brake lines. Or the pads might the ones that squeek? Maybe get a second opinion from a tire/repair shop. This prob didn't help much, but it might.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM
EvilJay

Thanks. I wondered about the pads, but more along the lines of whether I should try some type of coating. Don't know if the anti-squeal coatings would work for a squeak, maybe I'll take it to another dealer and have them look everything over.

For a clearer description, as well... it makes the noise when the brakes are not applied, at all temperatures, and when applying the brakes there is a quick squeak, and then I don't hear it again until I release the brakes and take off.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 AM
llamatymer
1st Gear Member

Does it sound like a choppy squeek that gets faster when you go faster? If so it could be an off balanced wheel which might cause the rotor to shake a little until the brake is applied which would keep it from shaking just shooting the breeze with that one.

-Matt
Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM
EvilJay

Yeah, it kinda does, actually. I'll have to mention that to the dealer. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
gunting

It's funny that you mention that squeaking sound from the right wheel area. I had my car tuned on a dyno 2 days ago and now I have a squeaking from the same location as you described. I wonder whether the fast spin of the rear wheels threw them off balance a tad causing the rotors to squeak. I will run it back to the shop on Saturday and let you know what their diagnosis is. It might apply to your situation as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

It can still be your rotor that spins too. Most likely cause is vent shield hitting it... or excessive runout on the rotor.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM
EvilJay

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I haven't been able to explore this any further yet because my car is still tied up in the body shop for hail damage, when it was supposed to be done a week ago.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM
gunting

Okay I had my sound diagnosed and fixed. That same day I had the tune and Dyno at Performance Auto Sport (PAS) in Richmond, VA, I also had them install Boom Tube axle backs. It turns out there is a design flaw with the hangers on the mufflers. The left axleback hanger is positioned too close to the metal flange on the car. Metal to metal, and there it is mystery solved. Eric at PAS used a crow bar to create space between the hanger and the car flange and the sound is gone forever. If you know of others installing the Boom Tube axle backs warn them of this issue.