Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno numbers for Hot Rod Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno numbers for Hot Rod Cams?

I was told its hard to pass emissions testing with after market cams, it might be time to make some friends in the vehicle inspection line of work. Gas Milage? I don't care if I get 5 mpg, my car will still make it from one gas station to the next faster then most.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

+1 somebody who owns these has to of had there car on the dyno. I know there are only a handfull of guys so far but knowbody has gotten on the dyno yet?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey jmose77, i got to have these
cams! they sound incredible

does anyone know if these cams would
keep our cars, from passing emmisions
testing

Hammer I am with you brother. I really want these just for the idle, any extra HP is a plus. I have searched a bunch of forums and most people are not recommending these for SC cars, but they never give specific reasons. If it is only because they wont make much power I dont car. Also losing low end torque isnt really a problem for us . Might actually make me hook better.

I figure if I can get the parts and install for $1100-$1200 I will do it.

I just wish ChevyKiller was around so I can ask him but he appears to be MIA.

Any one know how these will affect reliability on a car? I want my engine to last 100k miles then it is coming out for some "refreshing".

Input, I need INPUT!!!!! I need to have that idle. I plan to add an off road prochamber i think it will sound real nice with these cams.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well it doesn't look good for me guru, the
frpp web site says "not for sale on
pollution controlled vehicles"..... boo

Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I asked CK about the brenspeed NSR cams and he still said he didnt think they were a great option. Im guessing he would say the same about these...i cant see these being good for a n/a and FI car both..........COMP has different lines for both types or cars for a reason i would think
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

well it doesn't look good for me guru, the
frpp web site says "not for sale on
pollution controlled vehicles"..... boo
Ham - That is generally just becuase of California. They probably dont want to jump through the hoops of getting a CARB certificate. If you just have to pass a sniffer I am sure a tuner could get you there. Plus I am sure someone on this site know an emmission tester.

I still want these.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I asked CK about the brenspeed NSR cams and he still said he didnt think they were a great option. Im guessing he would say the same about these...i cant see these being good for a n/a and FI car both..........COMP has different lines for both types or cars for a reason i would think
As far as getting HP I totally agree any NSR Cam is probably not worth it as your gains will be small with the stock valvetrain.

But going to an SPR cam you are going from a $300 install to a $1500 install because changing the valvetrain is such a PITA on these cars.

I am looking for the sound and idle #1 and power if any second. With the blower power isnt a prob, neither is loosing a little low end.

I just want CK (or any knowledgable person) to chime in if he thinks it would hurt anything to run these cams in regards to reliability/duribility, or cause a tuning problem with the blower.

I was planning on having VMP do a dyno tune anyway so a tune isnt a prob.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I know for one thing in Maryland, if your car cant make it on the rollers for emissions, they let you go as long as you dont have any check engine lights... I am not really worried because there is no way my car will make it over the rollers at the emissions testing site here. (NO WAY AT ALL!!!)

As to the cams, I agree with Howarmat on that the cams probably arent recommended for FI and N/A, but I think the reason people wouldnt use it on an FI is because it wouldnt really provide any more power... just the idle. but like all of the whipple guys here said, if I were supercharged, I wouldnt really be worried about it.

I just hope that for us N/A guys, the cams dont have a HUGE drop in low end torque compared to some stories I have heard with Comp's stage 3.... But back to the point, we (I)need some freakin dyno numbers!!! The wait is killing me slowly...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

guru, you may be right because they had
the same warning for the whipple, when it
first went on sale

tonk, it's not the power, we just want the hot
rod sound
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hammer - With the right tune I am 99% sure you will be fine.

Do you pass with the Whipple? I know yours was running rich so I was curious.

I think you should go for it, tell me all about it, and then i will do it too, when I get my clutch changed.

I want these bad I just need to get my questions answered and i will order them.

I have an email out to Tousley, I will PM their price.

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers for Hot Rod Cams?