Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problems already. Valve lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default Problems already. Valve lifters?

I haven't even gotten my gears and cams in yet and I'm already having problems. Today I was driving back on to base after about 50 miles of driving and a noise started up from my engine that I've never heard before. I sounded like a clicking coming from the passenger side of the engine. It was already going to the hobby shop to try and figure out the noise coming from my brakes, so I thought I would ask some questions from the mechs there and try and figure out what is going on. The thing is after I changed my cloths I was driving to the hobby shop going about 25 mph, and it stopped for like 15 seconds. After slowing down to make a corner it came back. I pulled into the shop turned off my engine and went to sign in. When I started my car again the noise was back and mean as hell. I got it in the stall and opened up the hood and started to talk to the mech to try and figure out the problem. He said that he thinks its a collapsed valve lifter or cam follower (he wasn't sure what they are called in the S197). I was like "What"? He told me that its the thing the connects the cam to the valve, which controls the movement of the valve. The sound continued after I got done being unsuccessful with my break problem when I was driving back to my barracks room. When I was at the hobby shop I saw that my power steering fluid was low (I know nothing to do with it) so when I got back to my barracks I opened her up again and leveled it off. I decided to turn the car on once more and listen to it again before I came on here and posted. It started the engine and there was no noise, atleast not one that I noticed like before. After turning it off and then turning it back on I noticed that the noise started to get noticeable. Does anyone know whats going on? Has anyone had any problems with "valve lifters or cam followers?" Since I'm getting my cams changed out next week the mech said that it would be an easy fix while the mech is in there, but I would really like to know if what he said is really the problem.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 AM
super05mustangGT

Default RE: Problems already. Valve lifters?

Hey Brian, I have had the same thing happen to my car and it mostlikely is your lash adjusters (lifter) or cam followers (rocker) they will cost about $220 for one side. But if you are changing your cams i would replace all of them. It will save you money later on. I know because i made that mistake. But i replaced mine my self the second time. (It not that hard if you know the specs) like cam torque and theirs a couple of other things to that a local shop should be able to help you on. best of luck. and nice ride!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Brian, check out:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...Bs/06-9-11.pdf
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Now is this such a serious problem that I shouldn't be driving my car? I drove all day today and I haven't heard it yet, is that common with this problem?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

If the sound is coming and going,you have a cam phaser going south.Very common omon 3v engines.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Is that an easy fix if I have someone changing out my cams next week? Where can I get new ones?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 AM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

I also have a ticking sound. It reminds me of an old sewing machine.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

ya that exactly what it sounds like ^^^^^^^
Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

I'll call the dealer and see what they say.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Keep me posted. If it means getting my cam phasers replaced then there would be no better time then when I'm getting my cams installed

Quick Reply: Problems already. Valve lifters?