Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C's as well)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 AM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C'

I'm going to find out the exact temp it is running today while it is in the shop getting some work done. Did the Whipple include the 160 degree thermastat do you recall? If not, that could be something I change.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

CK - Thanks for the input. I will look into the "filter" idea for the outgoing side of the reservior. Can you give me some more info on the check valve and such? Also anything on the cap and fittings?

I want to build it right.

Apex - I have a bottle of water wetter in the intercooler and the rad. I see 190-195 deg steady basically no matter the weather when cruising. This is normal as I still have the 190 deg thermo. My IAT's are about 3-5 degree higher than ambient when cruising.

When I drive spirited they go up slightly but never over 210 engine or 125 IAT.

MyGT500 - I though running a 160 deg thermo wasnt good for the 3v. I had read they were designed to run hot and running that cool doesnt do much of anything. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

CK - Do you have anything that covers all the tank in the trunk ? I´m thinking, once all the tank gets really cold it will start to sweat and will get everything wet there?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

As far as a cap goes just get a fuel cell cap. Thats what mine has on it.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Nice I will go look for one.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i would be interested in one just for the polished look rather than the plastic one.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PLstang

As far as a cap goes just get a fuel cell cap. Thats what mine has on it.

Yep - a standard fuel cell cap is all you need and prefect for putting ice in.

The check valve I'm talking about is a simple check valve on the highest point of the resevior. Same philosophy as a fuel cell - you want the build up pressure and any air pockets to be released.

Mex - the sweating is normal and nothing crazy - it doesn't get anything 'wet' - it just beads sometimes on the outside of the resevior.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thats a good question... I did not do the install but remember seeing the "old" thermostat sitting in the parts bin that my installer gave back to me when he installed the S/C. I thought the Whipple kit came with that thermostat (160)? I could be wrong on this but the car does run cooler based off the stock gauge sitting on the cooler side of the half way mark after "spirited runs" in the city or highway and this was in 80+ degree days. When idle at a light or cruising in the city under 50 MPH the gauge shows pretty much in the mid point of the gauge in the 12 o'clock position. When I notice that I get on her and above 50 MPH and in a matter of a minute or two the temp slowly creeps to the 10-11 o'clock position. Hit another light at some point and it slowly creeps back to the mid point on the stock gauge...... I read the same thing about heat and our motors but I cannot imagine that this is too cool or bad for the motor. JMO and take it for what it worth J
ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

CK - Thanks for the input. I will look into the "filter" idea for the outgoing side of the reservior. Can you give me some more info on the check valve and such? Also anything on the cap and fittings?

I want to build it right.

Apex - I have a bottle of water wetter in the intercooler and the rad. I see 190-195 deg steady basically no matter the weather when cruising. This is normal as I still have the 190 deg thermo. My IAT's are about 3-5 degree higher than ambient when cruising.

When I drive spirited they go up slightly but never over 210 engine or 125 IAT.

MyGT500 - I though running a 160 deg thermo wasnt good for the 3v. I had read they were designed to run hot and running that cool doesnt do much of anything. Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

I have an article coming up so I can't show you any pics (yet) but I had a similar resevior as zkiller and it worked well enough.

I now have my intercooler resevior in the trunk along with my fuel cell (I have a return system).

My resevior holds a whopping 15 gallons of water and over 100 lbs of ice! I will usually run about 1/2 capacity.

A larger IC resevior is a wise move on any water cooled FI kit IMO. Not just ice downs at the track, but the extra capacity also aids in daily driving (especially stop and go) as well.

Something you should be aware of though is that despite what you probably think, you DO NOT want to use a big IC pump. The standard whipple and KB pumps are right on the money. They flow about 5 gpm's.

Many shops tell you to put a big pump on their that flows 20+ gpm's but, although it sounds good, what happens is the water moves too fast and actually doesn't do it's job cooling down the IC. What happens is you end up just making your IC resevior water hotter faster.

You want to stick to a relatively small pump but go with a larger resevior. You want to make sure if you get a custom set-up, to include a check valve in the construction and you want to make sure you use a nice trick or two to ensure your pick-up never gets blocked if you plan on running ice at the track.

What I did was run cylinder along the inside of the tank that I drilled out with lots of holes. I ran the pick-up under the cylinder so the water has to pass through the 'filter' I made before going to to the pickup.

This is doing it 'right'...

I was planning on doing a return system as well can you tell me more about how yours is setup. Its nice to see someone who already has it set up and working.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C

I am back from my business trip so I am working on this plan again.

This week I am going to mock up the size so I can get an idea on the volume I can get. Then I will track down the fittings and such. It sounds like it is more complicated than I originally thought. I will do some drawings and post back up for CK approval.

Thanks,