Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Default Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond

Next year my car will be out of warranty so I want to start saving now for my first major power mod. Currently all I have is a CAI, Tune and Pypes mid muffler system. I’ve decided I’d like to give a turbo a try as it is something different, and from reading posts on here, I think it will give me the performance I’m looking for. I’ve narrowed my search down to three systems: Brenspeed’s Hellion kit, Powerhouse, and the single kit from Turbo Horsepower.
I’ve never dealt with a turbo before but I have some previous experience with centri superchargers. I want a kit that is all inclusive and upgradeable in the future. I’ll probably forge my bottom end and upgrade my auto trans around 60,000 miles and will want to up the boost (goals of 600HP someday?) For next year I just want something reliable (400-450HP range).
At this time I am not interested in any other kits from things I’ve read on this forum. I would like to hear feed back from the people who installed and ran one of above three setups

How was fitment an installation? Was the install difficult? I don’t have a lift and will be doing the install myself using jack stands to work under the car. Is there any welding involved? I have a welder and can use it decent, but I am no fabricator and I do not want to have to make specific parts for my car. Will I be able to keep my Pypes setup with any of these kits? How long can I expect the install to take? I’m slow, partly because I check everything twice and partly because I misplace my tools every time. I have a good shop to work in but very limited air tools. I can get my hands on just about any specialized or hand tool but what would I need? What gauges, controllers, or any other miscellaneous stuff should I look into getting to compliment a successful turbo experience? There is a huge price difference between the mentioned turbo systems. What does one offer that the other doesn’t? I want future power levels to be achievable as easy as possible so if I need to spend the extra money at first, then I will. How is reliability?

I want to hear your horror story if you have one with one of the systems I’ve mentioned. What kind of boost numbers am I looking at to get in the 400-450HP range? I’d like to keep around 8psi. Which kit will do that? How are the tunes? I will be on my own because there are not any speed shops around to do a custom tune for me. I’ll be at the mercy of tunes supplied with the turbo kit.

I’m leaning towards the Powerhouse system at this time because I have read nothing but good things about their setup. However, I’ve not read anything really bad about the Turbo Horsepower setup, and it is a lot cheaper. I’m a little concerned about the Hellion kit because I’ve read that some have clearance issues. That is an issue. My car is not lowered and I don’t plan on lowering it but the roads in Southeast Missouri suck and I don’t want any chances of screwing anything up. However, I’ve read that you cannot go wrong buying from Brenspeed and I’d like to purchase from them just because everyone makes them sound great.

To reiterate my top concerns: reliability-tuning-clearance-completeness-fitment-retain current exhaust-Ease of install.

Rebel- I edited the heck out of your thread.....some crazy computer text and no paragraphs....hope it helps and enjoy the forum! J
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond

The first thing you need to consider is if you have to worry about emission testing. The only kit that could pass a visual inspection would be the Hellion. The THP and Powerhouse kit have the option of adding a single cat to the setup but that would not pass a strict test. If the cats are not a problem for you then I would not get the Hellion kit. The THP and Powerhouse are fairly close in price when you compare equal kits. I think the THP kit is a very good kit and Jim Napier is a great guy to work with but the PowerHouse kit is also very good. I don’t think you could go wrong with either kit it’s just a matter of which one you feel most comfortable with.

Earl
Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Emissions is not a concern where I leave. What needs to be added to the THP kit to make it comparable to the Powerhouse kit?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Hey moderator thanks for the editing. I copied and pasted out of Word and then tried to edit it some more once I posted but evidently I did not get it right.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

The THP basic kit is a 61mm turbo and does not have an intercooler. When you upgrade to an 67mm turbo and add an intercooler they are closer in price. If it were me making the choice I would go with the THP kit. With the upgrading you want to do in the future I think Jim would be able to work with you to give you what you want better than the PowerHouse guys.

Earl
Old 07-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I know you said you would be tuning the car with the canned tune but your already know I 'm going to say> GET A CUSTOM TUNE!! Spending the amount of money you are going to spend on any of the kits will be a good chunk of change. You can research and find a tuner1,000 miles away and have your car trailered there for custom tuning for $500 round trip. There are companies that specialize in this sort of deal.

With your auto tranny I could see it lasting 100 miles or 20,000 miles "as is" depending on how you drive it. Be prepared to totally replace it or send it off for rebuild immediately after theturbo for the "just in case" situation.

You didn't mention this kit but I will give my .02.

The easiest turbo kit to install for our cars is the STS kit in the single turbo variation. In a few weeks, I will tell you guys what can be squeezed out of a stock kit with upgraded fuel componets and a built motor. I'm hopingfor 500+ rwhp (60 mm turbo) and closer to 600 on 100 octane. We will see.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

[align=left] Retfr8flyr, did you do your own install? What brand programmer does THP use?

Simon. I've looked at STS but they are not what I am wanting. Ease of install is last on my list. I'm sure its a good kit, just not what I'm looking for.
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I have a friend that did the install and I think THP uses the SCT but I'm not sure as the twin kit does not come with one.

Earl
Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have a single turbo from Powerhouse. I started with the base 67mm and upgraded to the 76. I cannot claim it's better than any other turbo system nor for that matterany supercharger. To do that, I would have to try each one on this vehicle and make comparisons under controlled conditions (same power level etc). The units came with a base tune that performed perfectly.

I can claim that I am very satisfied with the product andthe aftersales support was and still isamazing. I did not do any of the install however, so cannot comment much on that, other than there were no difficulties or issues. I do remember that the first 67mm failed after a couple of days and Powerhouse shipped another new turbo to me before the original one was off the car...no questions asked or at least very few...lol. How often do you get hassle-free service like that?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. You guys are probably pushing a lot more than I'm willing to do right now. At least I'm down to THP and PH. When I start this project I want to be be around 400 horses and 8 psi. However I want to plan smart because I know eventually I will want to want to upgrade my motor and trans and shoot for 600+ horses. What size turbo can support that and at what psi with the kits from THP or PH. I don't think I'll ever go TT but who knows. I'm assuming I could get a turbo that will get me to the next level but turn down the boost to reach my current goals. Is that a good assumption? What kind of gauges and controllers should I be looking at or do they come with the kits? Oh, and how is THP's support? Sounds like PH is pretty good.

Anybody out there have hands on exprience with the installation of either of these kits? I'd be really interested in asking you a few questions.

Thanks.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond