Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intake/tuner install help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
ThrottleJunkie

Default Intake/tuner install help!

So I purchased a JLT2 intake/SCT Xcal2 combo from someone on a mustang forum. The tuner came with a 93 octane tune and the intake had a K&N filter on it. The tune was only for the intake on an otherwise stock 5 speed, which I have.

After install, I loaded the tune and tried to start the car and it didn't want to start. The OBC told me that the car went into failsafe mode and then the battery died.

I put the stock airbox back on and tuned it back to stock then jumped the car and it started fine.

I checked all of the connections multiple times and everything was hooked up correctly. I'm going to call Brenspeed but they're offices are closed until tomorrow morning and I'd like to get this figured out.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

FWIW, the car was issued a buyback title due to a weak charging system. It starts fine as long as the battery isn't put under heavy stress. Could this be part of the problem? If I had jumped it with the new parts on it would it have started?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:13 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake/tuner install help!

The tune is for a different strategy. You need to read the strategy from your programmer while hooked up to the OBD-II and give that code to Brenspeed so they can make a compatible tune for your car. I had a similar problem trying to load a tune made for a strategy I did not have.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM
ThrottleJunkie

He asked me to look on the side of the fuse box. He asked for a code that was on one of the brackets. He said it would either read "CDC1" or "CDC2" and based on that they would write a tune. I have a CDC2. Could it be possible that the person I bought it from had a CDC1 car?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Well my sticker on there says a different strategy than I really have thanks to my dealer updating my computer and not telling and not putting a new sticker on. I don't trust those stickers anymore.

Your best bet is to give Brent the strategy code (which is bigger than that 4 digit code) that's read from the xcal.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:21 AM
ThrottleJunkie

Now that I think about it I believe I gave him that code. You have to go to the status of the tuner and it shows a long *** set of letters and numbers, no? If that's the case then it shouldn't be an issue.