Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cost for Supercharging

Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cost for Supercharging

They have dyno, and have put it on. The only way he has gotten the rattle out is by taking out 30-40 rwhp. He's pulled off the entire blower and checked everything to make sure that there isn't any mechanical probs. Checked each cylinder to see if one may be bad. Checked the backpressure of the exhaust. Checked plugs/ intercooler. Relocated the temp sensor to after the intercooler (he noted that the intercooler is extremely good). Tried FRPP 93 tune, FRPP 91 tune. Tried 3 different gas stations. Tried 100 octane. He's been in contact with the guy @ ford racing who wrote the calibration trying to figure out the ordeal. Talked to a guy for predator tuners and asked for some advice, gave him some info about the valve timing which he said helped out a little with the rattle. Today he talked to a guy over at roush, he said that he's seen something similar to cars that have been ran very hard with the stock exhaust, I guess the computer will account for this and change some parameters to help save the cats, he's going to put on an x-pipe and see if that solves anything. I wanted him to dynotune, as we both thought that would help, but since he cannot get it right, he isn't charging me for that, and called up Justin @ VMP to let him know what has been going on, and that I should go there to see what he could do. There may be some things I've forgotten, I should be getting the car tonight. Hopefully I get good news, I'm definently due for some.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigray327

And don't forget the cost of the whole mess of supporting upgrades you'll want... like better tires, a one piece driveshaft, gauges and their mounts,etc. Stuff really adds up.
My plan actually was to buy the supercharger only, and let it sit in my garage... and watch it and take care of it...

I didnt know that Brenspeed only charges 600 bux for a supercharger install. I hear their tunes are really good too (im running the bama right now). I will definetly look into Brenspeed doing the install/tune. I would install on my own with the help of a few other mechanics I know, but I just dont think we would have the tools nor the access to the tools we would need... But I would still rather spend the money and have it done the RIGHT way...

Thanks for the info...
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

I'd get the injectors (38# frpp) flow tested and check and see if both fuel pumps are working properly.. I'd say it were a fuel problem or bad tune
Good idea. It would be nice to have a larger pulley to throw on there. If it doesn't knock/ping when you decrease the boost, then you know it's not getting enough fuel for some reason.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the "install yourself" guys. The Brenspeed kits are very complete and theirtunesare right on point (at least the Pax tune is). Even if you don't go with a Brenspeed kit, any of the canned tunes will be good enough to get you to thedyno. If they weren't, the company's would beout of business due to lawsuits.

Whatever kit you plan on getting, just take a look at the install directions; they should have a list of tools required. Get all the tools, a buddy or two, some food beer & smokes, and have at it. That's what I did and we pulled it off without a hitch... https://mustangforums.com/m_5334494/tm.htm

I'm not sure if other kits are more or less difficult than the Paxton, but I can't imagine thatany of them involve anythingthe would require an automotive technician.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I forgot to mention that we had the injectors flow tested, all were working extremely well.

I got my car today, we did a little test drive and I could here the rattle. We also data logged the run and it was pretty abnormal, even for a car that was detonating. Fuel pressure looked fine. Tomorrow I will be calling Justin@VMP to schedule an appt. Hopefully he can work some magic and fix the bugs. I'm also running on 100 octane in the mean time as an extra precaution, I also may order the 8 lb pulley.