Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help with Hot Rod Cams

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with Hot Rod Cams

Can he not just get a canned tune from Brenspeed for the FRPP Hot Rod Cams? I thought there was one available from them or someone.

Or Doug at bamachips?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

The tune from Doug was supposed to be for my specific set-up. I have also emailed Doug to get his input. The car is scheduled on the Dyno on Friday but I can call and cancel before I get back in town. I just hate to pick the car up on Friday when I fly in and then have a car that I can't drive over the weekend. Honestly, I have no idea what they mean by saying the car does not seem to be balanced. I used to be a mechanic years ago and I have not heard that term. Only thing I can think of was a balance between exhaust output. But if that was the problem, a tune is not going to fix that. That would seem to be a cylinder issue. But I doubt that since the car ran fine going in and only has about 1500 miles on it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

He can that is what I am running from Doug @ Bama. Casey was right every car is different and mine was a little off when I had it on the Dyno so my local guy adjusted my A/F ratio. Doug told me the same thing if I needed some adjusting I could send him a data log and he would make the necessary changes.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

The tune from Doug was supposed to be for my specific set-up. I have also emailed Doug to get his input. The car is scheduled on the Dyno on Friday but I can call and cancel before I get back in town. I just hate to pick the car up on Friday when I fly in and then have a car that I can't drive over the weekend. Honestly, I have no idea what they mean by saying the car does not seem to be balanced. I used to be a mechanic years ago and I have not heard that term. Only thing I can think of was a balance between exhaust output. But if that was the problem, a tune is not going to fix that. That would seem to be a cylinder issue. But I doubt that since the car ran fine going in and only has about 1500 miles on it.
I put my cams in on Friday and ran it with my Brenspeed 93 Octane tune for a whole weekend and it ran pretty good. I would ask them why they think it is unbalanced. If they truly thought that the motor was out of balance then a tune would not fix that. What they will most likely do is try to smooth put the rough idle by bumping your Idle speed up and then you will barely be able to hear those cams you paid so much for.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

but the only way that I can get numbers to even send to Doug would be to have it put on the dyno - right??

Also just a long shot here... but is there a difference between the two cams and could they have gotten them switched? If so, would the car have even run?

The only reason I even remotely thought of this was when I spoke to FRPP one time while I was checking on the back order, they told me the grinder had finished on side but was waiting on the blank to grind the other side.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

but the only way that I can get numbers to even send to Doug would be to have it put on the dyno - right??

Also just a long shot here... but is there a difference between the two cams and could they have gotten them switched? If so, would the car have even run?

The only reason I even remotely thought of this was when I spoke to FRPP one time while I was checking on the back order, they told me the grinder had finished on side but was waiting on the blank to grind the other side.
If you mean right for left and left for right, no way Jose! Not possible for even a caveman.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

These cams are the same on both sides. If they were different and they had them switched the cams then they would not be in time with the crank and you would have bigger problems like pistons smacking the valves that would be opening at the wrong time.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Well at least that is one thing that could not get installed backwards then...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yes... it is impossible due to the cylinder offset. One cam has a longer nose then the other. There would be no way to have them line up with the valves if they were switched.

You would need a cam stretcher for one and a cam compressor for the other to do it.

Far as I know, no such tool or technology exists today. But you never know.... LOL
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking the Ford techs that did the job probably were not even born back in the hay day of hot cams in the late 60's and early 70's. They hear that "Pop corn maker" sound of the FRPP cams and they have no frame of reference for what they are hearing, thus, they think something is wrong. After all, how many vehicle engines today do you know that sound like that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Hot Rod Cams