Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

forged internal questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
slricha4

Default forged internal questions

ok sorry if these are stupid questions but what can i say im young and just getting into mustangs. i know to make big power with a supercharger 500+ it is a good idea to do forged internals. what does "forged internals" entail? full rotation assembly? stroking? ported heads? also can someone explain stroking to me. i understand bore and i understand that with stroking you get more displacement. but can someone elaborate a little more on the details of stroking and forged internals. again sorry im not as knowledgable as you guys but thats why im here to learn. thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: forged internal questions

Read this thread, you'll find answers to your questions.
https://mustangforums.com/m_5297772/tm.htm
Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
DocVenture
1st Gear Member

No porting the heads has nothing to do with forged internals. The heads are the top end and doing forged internals is the bottom. You don't have to stroke it to do forged internals, but you may decide you want to.

Here is a good article that will explain stroking to you
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ild/index.html
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Most people will tell you that its not worth rebuilding the 4.6L, they say to buy a new engine with higher displacment and forged internals.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Forged internals is your shortblock, i.e. your crankshaft connecting rods pistons and all the goodies to go with them. Stroking is simply increasing the stroke (revolution of the rod around the crank) to produce more power, usually resulting in a torque motor. Forged is the way to go cast is just that, melted down and cast in a mold, forged is pounded out and treated and results in a much stronger component. And a bore, stock would be say .00, and overbore is honing the cylinders to a larger bore, and the larger the bore and the more aggressive the piston the higher your compression typically is. If you plan on rebuilding the motor more than once, you start with a smaller bore as to leave room for rebuilds (have to go bigger ever time to clean up the cylinders - I won't use sleeves in any of my motors) ~ hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions
Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Eaglestroker: So if the difference between forged and cast rod is what you said, then why can't you just change the weakest part of the 4.6 L (the rods) and push more boost without worry? I've tried to ask this question on many time but I never get a strait answer.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
fastford20

brian in all honestly you really could just change the rods if thats what you wanna do, but realistically its not the smartest thing to do. You still must disassemble the engine. Once you are that committed to that why not do the pistons which would be the next weak link? if you are smart and want a motor to last you will torque plate it and get the proper maching done before re assembling the motor. Im not sure if you have ever opened one of these up but assembling a motor is not an easy thing to do, epecially the modular( from what i hear this is my first mod motor). Ive been doin ALOT of research on motors lately and i know for sure i will be ordering a short block from livernois in the very near future. If you are going to do it right, do it right the first time!!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

You could change the rods with certain kits. I know with the stroker kits the journal size (the journal is on the crank, where the head of the rod clamps too) is actually smaller than stock so that you won't have as much machining to do on your block when you install the kit. And I agree with the guy above me, not sure if you've ever dropped one of these motors but its a pain, I know its expensive but if you build it right the first time, you'll never have to worry about it, and peace of mind's worth every penny
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
06SCGT

Trust me when I say it is expensive to break a stock 4.6 connecting rod! I am into a forged & stroked 4.6 about 10,000 when I am done in a few weeks!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

My neighbor broke a rod in his 01 svt, and when I tried to hook him up with some good stuff from my Eagle connection, he turned it down and replaced it with a stock rod. Idiots, if it broke the first time why wouldn't it break the second time?

Quick Reply: forged internal questions