Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gears and Tune Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Gears and Tune Question...

Having 4.10's (yes!) installed soon on my 06 GT MANUAL...I know I will need my SCT tune re-written (currently VMP Tuning)to account for the gear swap.

QUESTION: On the manual isthe gear tunecritical right away? I know on the auto you can damage the tranny if you do not. I would think on the manual it just affects the speed sense and spedo. Is this right? I will be doing it but is it OK to drive briefly until re-flashed?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gears and Tune Question...

You shouldn't have to get the tune re-written. There should be a user adjustable option in the SCT that allows you to change the gear ratio. Nothing else in the actual tune needs to be changed. Also, not updating the tune right away will not cause any issues. However, you will be putting extra miles on your car and your speedometer will show you going faster than you actually are by about 15%.

Dustin
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

thats correct, just effects the speedo. If you have the tuner with you all you need to do is change the axle ratio on the tune perimeters and reload the tune. There isn't any specific tuning other then that.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d_ames117

You shouldn't have to get the tune re-written. There should be a user adjustable option in the SCT that allows you to change the gear ratio. Nothing else in the actual tune needs to be changed. Also, not updating the tune right away will not cause any issues. However, you will be putting extra miles on your car and your speedometer will show you going faster than you actually are by about 15%.

Dustin
So, even though I have a tune I loaded (from VMP via email) into the Xcal2, I can still go in and change the rear ratio independently of the VMP tune? I thought you could only do this when you're loading one of the pre-loaded tunes that are already on the handheld when you get it (i.e. making selections prior to flashing).

Miles...don't really care. Just hit 121,000
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about that one. My tunes from Brenspeed were preloaded on the SCT. You can try it though...plug in the tuner and see if it has user adjustable options. Should be the first thing it asks you after you pick the tune.

Dustin
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

naw man you can change the parimetrs for any tune thats on your SCT. After you select the tune it will ask you if you want to change the parimetrs, select yes and go to the axle ratio and put in 4.10
Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brian_Zinchuk

naw man you can change the parimetrs for any tune thats on your SCT. After you select the tune it will ask you if you want to change the parimetrs, select yes and go to the axle ratio and put in 4.10
Nice...thanks for the confirmation!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

No problem brother. Hey you can also mess with other stuff like your rotations per mile if you put bigger wheels on and your idle and rpm limits. Just be careful around the air/fuel numbers and spark, you don't want to change those, let VMP figure that stuff out.