Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Cams 3V Thumpr NSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Comp Cams 3V Thumpr NSR

totally agree with that statement. Only reason they recommend comps with FI is just so there really is no power loss, but then you lose the cam sound. and I think when the car is at forced induction stages, you dont have to worry about what you would consider a minimal loss when boosted as to N/A...

I dont see why the hot rods would cause any problem also seeing that they didnt require any new valvetrain. So in a way, they can be considered stock... But I also talked to JPC and they said hot rods and FI isnt a bad combination at all. So good luck with that MylocalDj!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I read somewhere else that the phaser limiter will help with the low end power loss. It will be interesting in a few weeks (I hope) what the dyno results from the Thumpr tests are to see if that's true or not.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

FRPP Hot Rod Cams Dyno scanned...

[IMG]local://upfiles/97064/C5E64C66F8D34081A05ECA15C48FDF58.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

That is a nice flat torque line. Perfect for street!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Most people who build race cars and fast street cars choosethe bestcam to make the most power with their gear, heads, intake etc.
Choosing a cam for any other reason is pretty weird. Why would you choose a cam that isnt designed for FI, makes no sense, and throws good money at a small gain overall. It is like flushing horsepower down the drain.

Two cars line up - the cams may be the only difference. Everything you can do to get that edge is how to make your car faster than the next guy.

After the race you want to be the guy who says, "nice race" to the loser and not stuck saying "well my car has this cool 'lopey' idle but your car is faster"

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

which is why I basically started that whole forced induction fund for myself...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I certainly understand where you are coming from... For me, I will not see a track with this car. I did plenty of that in my younger years. This car is my daily driver and turns a lot of heads. Granted probably more because they don't see others like it. Often I get the question, "What's under the hood?" With the cams and a heavy lope, I suspect they won't ask much and if they do, they will just get this sheepish grin. [sm=smiley2.gif]

When I do decide to go FI and knowing that I have not builtthe bottom end yet, losing a few HP is not a big deal for me since I do not want to go much over 450 with the stock rotating parts. I am sure I will sooner or later opt for a built crate engine, but for now with only 2000 miles total on the car, I am just going to enjoy it and play ever so often.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

Nice, that looks like plenty of torque to me.

It would be interesting seeing this and a previous dyno chart on top of each other. But I like your results anyway.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I am trying to get that info. If I can get it, I will post it. The speed shop is over an hour away so I can't just run over at lunchand talk with them.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Most people who build race cars and fast street cars choosethe bestcam to make the most power with their gear, heads, intake etc.
Choosing a cam for any other reason is pretty weird. Why would you choose a cam that isnt designed for FI, makes no sense, and throws good money at a small gain overall. It is like flushing horsepower down the drain.

Two cars line up - the cams may be the only difference. Everything you can do to get that edge is how to make your car faster than the next guy.

After the race you want to be the guy who says, "nice race" to the loser and not stuck saying "well my car has this cool 'lopey' idle but your car is faster"

Yeah well not everyone buys a GT to be a super hard core racer. I just want a cool looking and sounding muscle car for cruising around in while having a fun amount of power. A cam like the hot rods fits me perfectly. A decent HP increase plus a wicked sound. While I would like a s/c'er, there's probably a 90%+ chance I will not ever put one on this car. I'd rather wait and get a Cobra, Vette or Challenger later on for that. Something with big cubes.

Plus, even if you look at these cams (hot rods or NSR Thumpr 3V) as a sound mod only it's still not a bad idea when you compare exhaust costs. I'd rather have a bad *** lope over a super loud exhaust anyday. The stock tone is not bad at all. But anyway, these cams will not only give a better sound, but pick up about the same as a full exhaust mod anyway so it's all good.

I would love for once to have a thread about cams without people comming in and saying "if you don't get a cam for reason x or y then you're an idiot and it's a waste of money." That is so not true b/c not everyone has the same needs. Hot Rods and/or Thumpr 3V fits my needs and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams 3V Thumpr NSR