Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197 Turbo Fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: S197 Turbo Fans

noooo not the winter! get a beater

and yeah sometmies the whine is way too loud i agree with that.

but back to what i said before 8+ lbs of boost is going to be risky without stock internals and without money to repair your block or buy a new one (esp if this is your DD which im assuming it is snice youll be driving it in the winter) 5-6 is a lot safer. you can always turn it up later when youve got money to spend if smoething goes wrong
Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

After reading some comments I've realized that 4-6psi is more reasonable.

I wasn’t planning on jumping into this bolt-on. The game plan is to see where my I stand after this winter.

As it stands now I'm looking into Nitrous/Turbo/Supercharger
Mean while I'm planning on purchasing bolt-on's that will work with ether 3 depending on witch direction I chose to go.
Example: Upper Lower Control Arms, Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Nitrous Pros - Use as needed, Purge!
Supercharger Pros - Tire melting fun, Torque! Blow-Off Valve
Turbo Pros - Bad ***, Blow-Off Valve. More Gauges!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Nitrous Cons - Bang!
Supercharger Cons - Sounds Annoying
Turbo Cons - The smell, and Rice Bumper
Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

What I don't get is if buy a turbo like this one http://www.turboneticsinc.com/produc...roducts_id=809how do I exit my exhaust?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

Depending what kit you get, there are some things you need to think about.

1. Do you have enough money to replace you motor if it blows?

2. Have you considered the supporting modifications? Clutch-suspension-tires-driveline-tranny-gauges?

3. With a stock motor, some have been able to run their cars at 10-13 psi with blowers, not many with turbos. It seems turbos, more so than superchargers, need to be customed tuned regardless of how good the canned tune will be. If you want to run 10-13 psi with good success, you will need to build your motor.

Some turbo manufactures for our cars are

Powerhouse
Turbonetics
HP
Hellion
STS
Granetelli

I'm sure I forgot some.

Well said and all true...
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2digits

What I don't get is if buy a turbo like this one http://www.turboneticsinc.com/produc...roducts_id=809how do I exit my exhaust?
thier kit comes with a pipe that bolts up to your stock exhaust.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 AM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

why are more gauges fun? theyre not cheap =P
Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2digits

After reading some comments I've realized that 4-6psi is more reasonable.

I wasn’t planning on jumping into this bolt-on. The game plan is to see where my I stand after this winter.

As it stands now I'm looking into Nitrous/Turbo/Supercharger
Mean while I'm planning on purchasing bolt-on's that will work with ether 3 depending on witch direction I chose to go.
Example: Upper Lower Control Arms, Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Nitrous Pros - Use as needed, Purge!
Supercharger Pros - Tire melting fun, Torque! Blow-Off Valve
Turbo Pros - Bad ***, Blow-Off Valve. More Gauges!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Nitrous Cons - Bang!
Supercharger Cons - Sounds Annoying
Turbo Cons - The smell, and Rice Bumper
You can use all as needed, you can stay out of boost pretty easily with a centri s/c . The only one u may have a prob with is a TS in winter staying out of the boost. Other wise thats a driver mod.....

And they can all go boom not just N20, and N20 will give you more tourque then either the turbo or s/c , I guess depends on the size of shot to but per hp I am pretty sure it isnt even close.

I also dont get what is more fun about having more gauges............
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

What difference would a supercharger make in the winter? It isnt giving you boost all the time, as you state.
Twin-screws only give boost at wide-open-throttle. Do you drive around with the pedal floored all the time? If not, there is NO boost at partial throttle.
Turbos are fine though, just want you to know the facts.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

if your thinking of driving a FI stang in the winter you should lose your stang. sorry to sound like an *** but that is by far one of the more retarted things i have heard on this forum in a long time. but anyway. id build up the motor first. boost is very very very very very addicting. youll want more before you get done the first drive with it. if i were you id get a vortex or paxton. you can put a bov on them and the normaly require less tuning. and not like a turbo, if you want more boost you still need to change the pully instead of pushing a button or turning a **** on a boost controller(correct me if im wrong i only know one person with a vortex). thats my .02 cents
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Here is my quick 2 cents.

One I hate all this TS are scary BS. The car drives like stock unless you go WOT. The blower works in bypass making no boost. I could drive this car for a year and never get out of vacuum.

Second I am a big turbo fan, but from a reliability standpoint on a DD, I went SC because they are easier to tune, and are a proven commodity.

If I was going to go turbo this is the only set up I would run personally. A hellion kit with a boost controller. 5-8 psi on the street with 93 octane and 9 psi with race gas and tune. With this kit you cant lower the car due to the routeing.

Know if I were in your situation I would get the new procharger HO. I like this kit alot and all a centri is, is a belt driven turbo. Much easier to install, ie do it yourself in a day, easier to tune on a dyno or mail order if you must. And it is easier to work on. Plus I love the seperate 8 rib belt for the blower.

Finally do yourself a favor and buy a winter beater. When I lived up north I had a 86 Merc GM with a 5.0. Cost me $500 and ran for 3 years. It even had a homemade PVC CAI worked great.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: S197 Turbo Fans