Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197 Turbo Fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Default S197 Turbo Fans

Like many Mustang owners, I love my car. When I realized I have a problem I want to go "faster"

So the game plan is to start off big in the performance department, and anti-up to today’s youth culture, and Turbo my Mustang.

I'm still a novice tuner, and would love suggestions in that regard; that aren't listed as the following:
"Buy a Paxton supercharger instead"

Personally I plan on owning my GT for a very long time, and would like to take most if not all the precautions to make sure the install is done right, and that I have no long term problems.

So I was wondering what I will need to look into for a kit, and other components I will "need". Such as a Pyrometer/ BoostGauge.

My main question revolves around reliability. more so then making massive RWHP.

I am planning on running 7-9lbs of boost but would like to make sure that my car can "handle" up to 10-13lbs of boost. Just as a safety precaution, and because knowing me I'll get use to 400 + hp real quick.

Depending on the advise I get from this thread I am ether planning on subletting the install to a Tunershop, or tackling this task with a 3rd year mechanic.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: S197 Turbo Fans

Depending what kit you get, there are some things you need to think about.

1. Do you have enough money to replace you motor if it blows?

2. Have you considered the supporting modifications? Clutch-suspension-tires-driveline-tranny-gauges?

3. With a stock motor, some have been able to run their cars at 10-13 psi with blowers, not many with turbos. It seems turbos, more so than superchargers, need to be customed tuned regardless of how good the canned tune will be. If you want to run 10-13 psi with good success, you will need to build your motor.

Some turbo manufactures for our cars are

Powerhouse
Turbonetics
HP
Hellion
STS
Granetelli

I'm sure I forgot some.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

No I don't have enough money to replace my motor if it blows!

I new I would need atleast a double platted clutch, tires... thats why I'm rockin' the 20" besides the looks. Suspension I have been looking into Eibach Pro-System kit.

What kind of supporting driveline modifications would I need? Same with internals?

I'm not planning on running 10-13 Psi (Lbs) but I'd like the ability to. My logic is that if my car is set up to run 10-13 it should have no problems doing 8-9 daily.

I know with nitrous you will "need" a forged crankshaft, and pistons but what is the equivalent for a turbo kit?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Same, forged internals is what you need with a built motor
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Oh, and IF you blow a motor theres a 95% chance its not going to be the crank letting use. Most likely a rod or piston.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2digits

No I don't have enough money to replace my motor if it blows!

I new I would need atleast a double platted clutch, tires... thats why I'm rockin' the 20" besides the looks. Suspension I have been looking into Eibach Pro-System kit.

What kind of supporting driveline modifications would I need? Same with internals?

I'm not planning on running 10-13 Psi (Lbs) but I'd like the ability to. My logic is that if my car is set up to run 10-13 it should have no problems doing 8-9 daily.

I know with nitrous you will "need" a forged crankshaft, and pistons but what is the equivalent for a turbo kit?
If you don't have enough money to replace your motor, the means to get it fixed or a second car, then I would wait on getting any FI.

With any standard FI kit you should be fine with the current drive line.

There is a big difference between 8-9 psi and 10-13 psi. Properly tuned an S197 in the 9 psi range with a turbo should be anywhere from 425-500 hp. This is already flirting with danger on the untouched motor. 10-13 psi puts you well past the 500 hp range and pass flirting with danger and right into staring it in the face. It can be done, some have and still do,but with no reliability or gaurantee it will last any amount of time.

Maybe adjusting your goals and running around 5 psi for daily driving and around 9 when you feel like it would be a better plan.

You don't need a forged crank shaftwith any of the power adders, if they are set to run at a proper power level. Nitrous is no different when it comes to forged internalsor not, compared to turbos or superchargers.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
nyc06gt
1st Gear Member

Just curious - why turbo over s/c?

And 8 PSI is going to but you around 450rwtq - which like simon1 says is flirting with danger. if you dont have the money to replace your motor or get it built i would stay closer to 6psi.

and if thats the knid of boost yorue gonna be running i believe a saleen or roush would make the same numbers and keep you under warranty.turbos are more maintenance than s/cs too i believe? andi would go with the saleen because twin screws > centri (and obv youre not going to get the new rouscharger as it makes anywhere from 550-700, youll blow up soon for sure).

if your warranty is already up people around here seem to love the whipples and not push the 440/450 #s (unless you want to)

as for the crank the number with that is apparently 600 or so before it becomes a problem. rods and pistons are the weak points

and if 400rwhp gets slow for you and you dont have the cash to build your motor or replace your current one, then get some gears =P

sorry for going on and on, guess im just interested in why turbo > s/c

Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

2digits, I've been researching turbos and have some of the same concerns as you. Currently I'm looking at a turbo Horsepower or Powerhouse kit. My plan is to run low boost and save for the tranny and engine builds later. If something gives, then I'll guess I'll just have to finance an engine or tranny but that sucks and hopefully won't happen.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Why a Turbo over a Supercharger?

1- I plan on driving my Mustang in the winter, and the continous power of a Supercharger seems a little hairy to me.

2- I'm not a fan of how some Superchargers are louder then your exhaust. It's just my opinion that if your going to drive a V8 you should be able to hear it

3- I drove a Shelby GT500 (Work related) and didn't like the feel or sound of it

4- Superchargers seemed played out, everyone who has a Mustangseems to havea Supercharger. I'd like to be unique

Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheRebel

2digits, I've been researching turbos and have some of the same concerns as you. Currently I'm looking at a turbo Horsepower or Powerhouse kit. My plan is to run low boost and save for the tranny and engine builds later. If something gives, then I'll guess I'll just have to finance an engine or tranny but that sucks and hopefully won't happen.
[align=left][/align]
Haha "TheRebel" thats wicked!

Quick Reply: S197 Turbo Fans