MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Cost to fix fuel filling TSB? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/471337-cost-to-fix-fuel-filling-tsb.html)

LS1less 08-05-2008 03:37 PM

Cost to fix fuel filling TSB?

Hello all. I am having an issue with fuel refilling. The pump shuts off about 10 times before the tank is actually full. I am out of warranty & am wondering how much it will cost to have the dealer replace the crappy designed tube? This is not a pressing matter but if its not too much, I will definately have it done.

EvilJay 08-05-2008 07:39 PM

RE: Cost to fix fuel filling TSB?

Is there a TSB related to this issue? If there is in fact an actual TSB out, it should not matter whether or not your car is in the warranty period. I have had TSB's addressed well past the warranty period with other manufacturers. If they posted a TSB, it is a design flaw, not a warranty wear/tear issue. If there is no TSB, then I don't know what to tell you on price.

LS1less 08-06-2008 12:27 AM

Here is the official TSB.....
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...08fueltank.pdf

It looks like I will have to live with fill up problems! A new fuel tank will most definately be over $500, especially from the dealer. SMURF!

WingerWV 08-06-2008 07:39 AM

One way to handle your problem is to turn the gas knozzle updside down and then fill the tank. Mine will shut off on rare occasions and when it does this works for me. If you want to try something that may be a little more permanent (but not totally) check out this link. Mine does not do it often enough to try this but it sounds like you might want to. http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm

matt07GT 08-06-2008 08:59 AM

It has happened to me 3 times...and each time it happened I was in the same situation. For me..it only happened when I was driving the car for a long time right before fill up. I usually fill up my car first thing in the morning...but on the few rare times thatI decided to fill up after some highway..or high speed driving I had an issue with the fill up.

GidyupGo 08-06-2008 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: EvilJay

Is there a TSB related to this issue? If there is in fact an actual TSB out, it should not matter whether or not your car is in the warranty period. I have had TSB's addressed well past the warranty period with other manufacturers. If they posted a TSB, it is a design flaw, not a warranty wear/tear issue. If there is no TSB, then I don't know what to tell you on price.

Friend, a TSB is NOT, a warranty issue unless the car is under warranty. A RECALL is and that is where you are confused. A TSB is a set of specific instructions given to the tech to show him how to fix a specific problem. If this problem crops up enough, the engineers figure out a TSB so that it can be fixed. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH being in or out of warranty.:eek:

LS1less 08-06-2008 05:20 PM

Iheld the nozzle sideways, but no luck. I will have to try holding the nozzle upsidedown. I will look like an idiot but I guess its worth a shot!

Derf00 08-06-2008 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: LS1less

Hello all. I am having an issue with fuel refilling. The pump shuts off about 10 times before the tank is actually full. I am out of warranty & am wondering how much it will cost to have the dealer replace the crappy designed tube? This is not a pressing matter but if its not too much, I will definately have it done.
I read the TSB you posted and being that it also falls under an Emissions warranty, take it in and have it fixed for free. Outside of any warranty it's on your dime, but under a warranty, if your car encounters a problem that can be solved with a TSB then the dealership is almost obligated to do it. I say almost because it's considered an optional warranty item and not required like a Recall.

Emission warranties are easier to push them getting done because they are federally regulated vs regulated by theOEM for a regular warranty item. Emission warranties are also a lot longer (5 years/80K miles). Take it in. Worst, one dealership will say is no. Find one that will repair it.

LS1less 08-07-2008 09:27 PM

Thats interesting! I am not aware of the emissions warr. How does emissions tie into fuel refilling?

N3mi5is 10-29-2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LS1less (Post 5332440)
Thats interesting! I am not aware of the emissions warr. How does emissions tie into fuel refilling?

Keeping the fuel vapors from getting into the atmoshpere by recycling them into the engine at a pre-determined time.