Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
CaL5TaNg

Default Exhaust Questions

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the Mustang world and I just bought a 2007 Mustang GT. Anyway, I'm considering replacing the stock exhaust with an axel back system and maybe and O/R pipe. However, I would like to know what the problems of running an O/R pipe are besides your car not being able to pass emissions inspections; like does it harm your engine or anything like that? Also, what's the main difference b/w an O/R X and an O/R H pipe, cause I've hearddifferent comparisons between both of them? Once again, I'm new to Mustangs so I'm here to learn. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
matyellott
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Questions

slp loundmouths and an cross pipe, never had an issue.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

No issues running an off road pipe other than the emissions stuff, and it is louder. I had one on my 99 GT for 5 years.

As far as X or H. I am an H guy.

X pipes generally make a little more power, but the sound tends to be a little higher and raspier. An H give the car a nice low rumble like the classic muscle.

It is really personal preference.

I would say check out youtube for different combo's but I think the sound quality stinks. Better off to hit a car show or local mustang club and listen first hand.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

x pipes and h pipe are different in their sound and purpose. h pipes are a lot deeper tone where as x pipes are a little more higher pitched raspy tone... x pipes are used to get more hp than torque where as h pipes is vice versa...

doing either whether you have cats or no cats wont hurt your car. depending on what tune you get, some tunes turn off the rear O2 sensors so you dont have check engine lights popping up. at emissions, I lowered my car, so it wont make it over the rollers in Maryland without hitting something. all they do is check for check engine lights, if you dont have any, then you pass... thats how I end up getting around that road block...

you could always run off road piping and just put the cats back in before emissions... not too much work, a 10-15 minute job...

So really, there are no problems with running off road piping...

youtube exhaust brands to see how they sound too...
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

To actually answer your questions.........no it will not hurt your motor. H pipe gives you more of a deep sound (muscular) as apposed to an X pipe which is more raspy/racey(sp?) sounding. Think of the whole scheme of what you want to do before you pick mufflers. I.e are you eventually getting LT's, what midpipe , ect. Some mufflers sound great be themselfs/stock midpipe, while some sound like complete sh*t with an O/R midpipe. I would recommend Borla Stingers w/ o/r h or x if your planning on going o/r. If staying with the stock cats get the Mac a/b's. If going LT's and the rest get Mac Lt's/o/r prochamber/mac a/bs'.........Oh yeah if you do go o/r dont forget your MIL eliminators or tuner to take care of your CEL.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
CaL5TaNg

I've been cruising Youtube for a bit and I was thinking of the Corsa Axel back system with a Mac O/R H.....would this setup work well enough that I wouldn't really have to change out my headers to have a great sound, or would I eventually have to swap out the stock headers for LTs?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Just going from the oh so quiet stock mid pipe to an O/R H or X pipe isreally gonnablow you away in terms of how loud your car will get. I personally prefer the O/R H with Flowmaster axle backs. Corsa + Mac O/R H will be a nice pic as well.

Check out Brenspeed.com. They have a video section where they show you the different setups and sounds of All types of exhaust tests they perform. Although the video isn't as good as first hand like mentioned above, at least it's the same people using the same equiptment to record what youre hearing.

Also on a side note, if you do get a check engine light do to the straight pipes, definetly get mil eliminators, or get it erased with a tune. Leaving it on might hurt your performance a bit. ie Running lean.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
straight808

borla stingers with X-pipe JMO
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
exzpl0sive
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the Borla axle backs. It sounds great even without an O/R X or H. Tons of videos on youtube.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I recommend getting a catted X with Borla stingers.....or straight pipes with some resonators.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions