Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear brake squeek TSB. Revised brake linings???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

Default Rear brake squeek TSB. Revised brake linings???

Hello all! Lately, my Stang has been exhibiting some minorissues. I have the intermittant rear brake noise/sqeek below speeds of40. The TSB states to add revised brake linings. Whats a brake lining? Is this something on the pads? Thank you in advance.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...ake_squeek.pdf
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear brake squeek TSB. Revised brake linings???

let me know what you find out man. my car has been doing this for a few months now. pads are in good shape. squeek only happens when gettin on the brakes softly. and only coming from the pass rear wheel area. i posted something bout this a month or so ago and no responses. how many miles are on your car? ive got 25k.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

This is common on many makes and models. New pads may help. My Jeep only does it when wet and cold, or high humidity. Ford will replace the brake pads for free if you have under 12,000 miles and are less than 1 year old. They are considered a wear item and the bumper to bumper warranty doesn't apply to them after the 12 months/12K miles.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

thanks for the warning gidyup. guess i will just let the guys at my dealership change the pads out. much cheaper than letting ford do it. also bout to let the guys change out the scary spark plugs.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

My 05 has 15000 miles. The term brake lining has me confused. Its wierd, the noise comes with light braking under 40 mph. I have conditioned myself to stop by slamming the brake pedal more intead of gradually stopping, as the noise doesnt replicate. ^ im also worried about the spark plugs too (future worry)!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Damnit! I've been wondering about this for 6 months. Rear squeal during light braking. Mash hard, nothing, Only around 40 mph with a light touch. Unfortunately i just rolled 14K and my car got a clean bill of health on the last oil change. All pad wear and tire wear was fine.

BAH. would have liked to know about this a few months back.

Although that PDF says for 2005 vehicles. My 05 never did that. The 07 started at about 5 or 6K miles. sometime back in October i guess.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

FINALLY. i thought i was going crazy or something. didnt think anyone else had this problem. ive got 25k on my '07 and it just started back in march. like you dont want to start around people. you can even feel it when u try to brake at speeds over 75-80mph. like the rear isn't stopping like the front. or the rotors are warped and the pad is not grabbing perfectly. i got the clean bill of health from my techs here last time i changed the oil. pads in great shape all the way around. now i think i will make it a ford problem and make them figure it out.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:26 PM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

I usually drive with my windows down & some days I here no noise. But as soon as I go WOT, & brake right after, the squeek is back. When braking right after WOT, the squeek noise is the loudest! I dont know is this means anything but I know it is very consistant!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

mine does it all the time. after wot and hitting the brakes it feels as if the read pads are not grabbing the whole rotor. not sure what to do now. want to take it to ford but all they will probably say is to replace the pads and rotors. and i def wont let them do it. let my techs here do it and get all the parts at costs. good thing about working at a dealer
Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
nu2ford

There is a new pad available from the dealership. The lining material has been changed to prevent (reduce) the squeak. My 05 made noise since the day I drove off the lot with 5mi on the car. Just learned to live with it. I have 100K on it now with the same pads (highway miles) and it's about time for me to change them with 20% life left. If you put new pads on from your corner parts store the problem will most likely NOT go away. There may even be a TSB about this but since brake linings are considered wear items don't look to hard.

Quick Reply: Rear brake squeek TSB. Revised brake linings???