Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
i'm gonna wrap mine up and
open it on christmas morning

LOls. Good idea
Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ha ha, yeah, I think I will too.

To: Me
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
No need to change TOB's with the Mcleod either, it works fine with the stock. I already had the Mcleod TOB otherwise I would have just went stock with the TOB.
Well that is good to know, I thought there were some people that were having problems with the stock TOB and the twin plate set ups and people where going to upgraded TOB's.

So I guess that is cool that you don't have to replace it. Saves a grip of cash!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z06 Killer
Well that is good to know, I thought there were some people that were having problems with the stock TOB and the twin plate set ups and people where going to upgraded TOB's.

So I guess that is cool that you don't have to replace it. Saves a grip of cash!
The issue I am/was having was with the TOB and my SpecsII+ clutch/aluminum flywheel combo. I am hoping all these issues will go away with a complete Mcleod setup.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

The issue I am/was having was with the TOB and my SpecsII+ clutch/aluminum flywheel combo. I am hoping all these issues will go away with a complete Mcleod setup.

What problems did you have. I have a Spec 3 + and billet steel Spec FW that I am going to install in a week or so and would like to know what I need to look out for.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z06 Killer
What problems did you have. I have a Spec 3 + and billet steel Spec FW that I am going to install in a week or so and would like to know what I need to look out for.

A couple of things, but first of all my setup was a spec's II +, I have only heard of one problem with the spec 3+. The biggest issue I had was the clutch would not disengage completely, in other words the car would start to go with the clutch pedal to the floor, couldn't shift at WOT very well it was hard to get into gear, had 2 stock TOB's fail and 1 mcleod which we think was due to the aluminum flywheel being a smaller diameter than stock which caused the TOB's to over extend even after shimming the system, other than those 2 issue I guess it was OK it held fine at the track.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

A couple of things, but first of all my setup was a spec's II +, I have only heard of one problem with the spec 3+. The biggest issue I had was the clutch would not disengage completely, in other words the car would start to go with the clutch pedal to the floor, couldn't shift at WOT very well it was hard to get into gear, had 2 stock TOB's fail and 1 mcleod which we think was due to the aluminum flywheel being a smaller diameter than stock which caused the TOB's to over extend even after shimming the system, other than those 2 issue I guess it was OK it held fine at the track.
Exactly the problems I am having with my spec 2+ and stock TOB. I can't even begin to describe how slow I have to shift at WOT, it SUCKS!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Exactly the problems I am having with my spec 2+ and stock TOB. I can't even begin to describe how slow I have to shift at WOT, it SUCKS!
You didn't get in on the Mcleod group buy we just had? I am very hopeful that all my shifting problems will go away with this setup. If not my car may get a nice "FlameJob" if you know what I mean.
RSTTwinDisc:650
Mcleod TOB: 450
Mcleod Steel flywheel: 260
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

American you should have gotten in on that group buy it was a good deal.

Sactown - no reason to incinerate the car. If all else fails you have 2 choices.
1. Install a TR 6060 with a GT 500 clutch
2. Install a auto, the 5 speeds from Larry's transmission have a good rep

I am thinking that when I forge the motor I might go auto, unless someone starts making the trans I want. I really want a TR-6060 with cryo'd internals and the .50 overdrive from the viper. Then I could have 4.10's and still cruise at like 2k rpm at 80mph.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Save even more cash and use a steel flywheel. I do recommend using a new or aftermarket flywheel, only because I think my stocker was a little warped causing a vibration.

Quick Reply: New Clutch?