Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed Saleen Stage 3 Cold Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

Angry Brenspeed Saleen Stage 3 Cold Start Issue

I was wondering if anyone else who has the Brenspeed Stage 3 Saleen kit is having any type of cold start issue? My car when it start runs fine but if I drive it and try to give it any more than 1/4 pedal it spits sputters and acts all jacked up. Now once the car is warm it runs fine. And I have tried everything I can think of. It is not the plugs or coils, I do not have a leaking injector, and I have had some adjustments made to the tune by Brenspeed, and there has been no change. The only thing I cannot rule out is that it might be a vacuum leak. But when I start the car I get a vacuum of 20 degrees after about 30 seconds(once the rpms come down) and it is never lower than that so I do think I have one. But lets say I do, how do you check for a vacuum leak on a car that always has a nice whistle of air moving? The only thing I can think of is to remove the entire intake, clean everything up and put it back down, and see if the problem goes away. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:55 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

Bump.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

When did you notice the problem...immediately after install or after tinkering with the tune?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Did you call Brenspeed? They should be able to help you. I'd like to know what was wrong since i'm interested in this package. thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

I noticed the problem the next day after the install. When I picked the car up it was already warm, so of course I did not know it had a cold start issue. Then the next morning I went to leave for work and I discovered. I had called Brenspeed, and emailed Brenspeed several times. They are trying to see what they can do for me but they told me that honestly they do not know what is wrong. I am pulling 20 degrees of vacuum, which they said is the norm. I have tried everything they have told me to try. I checked all the routing on vacuum hoses, changed back to the stock coils, tried a set of normal heat range plugs for a quick drive while it was cold, nothing has had any effect. So I drove 3 hours to Dallas to have my car dynoed so they could see if anything was off. I was a little rich on cold and mid throttle, so I sent the changes I needed to Brenspeed. But even the changes did nothing to help. I will say this once my car is warm the kit is awesome. I just hate that I have to let my car warm up for 10-15 minutes to get to really drive it, and I have to do that even if it is like 95 degrees outside, that is why I think something is off.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, something doesn't sound right. Unfortunately I'm not experienced in cars. I just learn as I go. Could it be the O2 sensors?? I wish someone else with a stage 3 could give some input. This is the first i've heard about his problem.
How far are you from Brenspeed? I'm a 10 hour drive...so if i run into any problems, I know I won't be able to drive back for maintenance. But pls...keep me posted on this issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I'm not going to knock brenspeed here but not all cars accept their tunes.. Mine was one of them. I spent months and months trying to fix problems that were all tune related.

My car started running perfect when I had pro-dyno in SC tune the car, was it a mail order tune or custom?

Last edited by sevenleaf; 08-19-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

It was a mail order so to speak. I am like 16 hours from them so getting up there was not really an option. It was a little rich down low, but I had them fix that part and it still does it. I am trying to Brenspeed by any means. They have been helpful in trying to figure it out, they just don't really know what else it could be. But they are still working with me to try and figure it out. They do not feel it is tune related, but I cannot find any mechanical failures, or sensor failures, so I do not know what else it could be.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Are you dealing with Brent or Dave, or both? Dave is the install master, so he might be able to shine some light on this problem if he has perhaps seen it, so if you're just talking to Brent, have him talk to Dave and perhaps together they can come up with a solution. They did my car, and I actually drove there from WI. They are (there's a salesman in there who's name I can't remember) the nicest, most into Mustang people I have ever met, all of them. I am sure they will do everything ANYONE could do to help you with your problem!!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

I started talking to Dave, and I asked him if there was anything he could think of. He said since he couldn't actually see the car it was hard to tell me anything. So he gave me a list of things to check and then let him know what I found. I did everything he asked and couldn't find anything wrong. The last thing that I would have to do is actually pull the intake off and reinstall it. But I am leary about doing that because if I pull it off and nothing is wrong I cuold cause a problem if I screw something up, or tear an gasket or something. I told him what kind of vacuum I am pulling and he said it sounds like my vacuum is right. So that alone makes me not want to pull the intake for now reason. So when he couldn't think of anything else he turned me over to Brent. Now I am talking to Brent. One issue I have is that the shop that installed it for me had never installed one. And there is no one around here who has done it, so I cannot take the car to someone else and say hey look at this and tell me if is it correct. I mean I am decent mechanic so I started at step one and looked over as much of the install as I could and everything looks installed exactly as it should be. Like I said Brenspeed is doing everything they can. I just wish I could drive the car to them so they could actually look at it.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Saleen Stage 3 Cold Start Issue