Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fluid Options for 4.10 gear install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Here is an interesting link. This shop recommends not using synthetic gear oil.
http://sdgearaxle.com/_wsn/page3.html
Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You will most likely need a new pinion bearing. Either the inner or outer pinion bearing is a bitch to remove without damaging it. My shop was able to reuse all the other bearings. The pinion bearing ran $25 from ford. You need 75w140 gear oil and I use royal purple myself. the royal purple has friction modifier in it, but I still had to buy a 4oz bottle from ford ($5).
Yeah..what's up with that. Just had my gears installed Friday. I mentioned I wanted some friction modifier because I have the "slow turn moan". The installer also used Royal Purple and said it had friction modifier in it (the royal purple website confirms this) but I still have the moan. At least I have no whine though. Looks like I need the Ford friction modifier too.

Last edited by grampa_stang; 08-27-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
Interesting
Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
Could they be any more vague? Isn't the stock gear oil some kind of synthetic?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I checked the owners manual. 75w140 synthetic axle lube.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
baldbull

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
Yeah..what's up with that. Just had my gears installed Friday. I mentioned I wanted some friction modifier because I have the "slow turn moan". The installer also used Royal Purple and said it had friction modifier in it (the royal purple website confirms this) but I still have the moan. At least I have no whine though. Looks like I need the Ford friction modifier too.
What is the deal with running friction modifier with RP?

My 4.10's only make sound while engine braking from 50-40mph. Is this the "moan"?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Marksman14

Well, I decided to have another shop do it. They are a chicagosvt.com forum sponsor, and I talked to the guy and he knew exactly what he was talking about. He knew exactly what type of fluid and additive, discussed the pinion bearing most likely needing to be replaced, and I asked a bunch of other questions to gauge the guy and he made me feel MUCH more confident about the install. He said they've done hundreds of ring/pinion installs, and the best part is they only want 250 for the install plus the fluid, and probably pinion bearing as well. Except I have to wait until sept. 12 :-(

One of the best parts is that since he does a bunch of these, he has all of the parts in stock so no worries about running to a dealership for parts.

Anyways, I'm very excited to have these in, and I feel much better.

The name of the shop is speed inc

Remove the space, add a .com and thats there website too. Check them out.

Scott

Last edited by Marksman14; 08-27-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baldbull
What is the deal with running friction modifier with RP?

My 4.10's only make sound while engine braking from 50-40mph. Is this the "moan"?
No. The rear end moan only happens when going about 5mph and turning sharply...like into a parking space. There's actually a TSB for it. I need to dig it up as I'm taking it to the dealer to have the friction modifier added..or clutch packs replaced, whichever is needed.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
No. The rear end moan only happens when going about 5mph and turning sharply...like into a parking space. There's actually a TSB for it. I need to dig it up as I'm taking it to the dealer to have the friction modifier added..or clutch packs replaced, whichever is needed.
Mine still makes noise when turning into a parking space. I've just learned to live with it until I get a Detroit truetrac installed.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I just had my 3.73's installed last Friday. I just spoke with the Ford service writer, he said since my build date is 2 monthse prior to 10/2006, I'll need the clutch packs. I did NOT mention anything about the new gears, but I did ask him if he had to take apart the ring/pinion. He said NO, they pull the entire 3rd member and just replace the packs.
Hope they don't notice anything and try to void my warranty.

Last edited by grampa_stang; 08-28-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Fluid Options for 4.10 gear install?