Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Cursed Pinging!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

What I think I'm going to do in this case is give the dealer one more shot at it. It IS still under waranty and so this work from a dealer will be free to me. If they still refuse to come up with a senseable solution to it, I'm going to a performance shop to see what they can do for me. Hopefully they won't take me for a ride as I am a very obvious noob to all things modding.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If you've already tried different brands of 87 octane gas, than another option is to dump a can of Seafoam($7) into the tank the next time you fill it up. It's designed to get rid of any carbon that has built up inside the combustion chambers, which can cause pinging. It got rid of a pinging problem on my 05 S197 GT.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paulg5678
What I think I'm going to do in this case is give the dealer one more shot at it. It IS still under waranty and so this work from a dealer will be free to me. If they still refuse to come up with a senseable solution to it, I'm going to a performance shop to see what they can do for me. Hopefully they won't take me for a ride as I am a very obvious noob to all things modding.
The dealership can reflash your computer while they have it. Ask them to do this for you. If you don't want to spend the money on a CAI and tuner the next step would be to have the dealership provide you with a new tune, the Ford version. Not the best but better than nothing.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

Noted, I'll see if they can re-flash the stock tune on it. You have any idea how much a new Ford tune for a higher octane fuel would run?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Noted, I'll see if they can re-flash the stock tune on it. You have any idea how much a new Ford tune for a higher octane fuel would run?
I don't think Ford has tunes for different octanes. They may have an updated tune since your car was made. I would just get a CAI and tuner from brenspeed.com or bamachips.com. You're talking about $500 or so and the difference is night and day for performance. It will feel like a new car.

I can't stress enough how much you guys with stock cars are missing out, it's really sad.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

Haha, really, ONLY $500, huh. LOL, if I had the money, i'd have pulled the trigger on an intake loooong ago. Its not a matter of not wanting too. If you feel charitable, and wish to eliminate the plague of "stock-ness" that is running rampant in this country, I will accept donations, lol.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Haha, really, ONLY $500, huh. LOL, if I had the money, i'd have pulled the trigger on an intake loooong ago. Its not a matter of not wanting too. If you feel charitable, and wish to eliminate the plague of "stock-ness" that is running rampant in this country, I will accept donations, lol.
Well you clearly can't afford the car. You should have bought a car you can afford.

Glad i could solve your problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thank you all for your quick replies.

In response to the replies in order:

SirKnight: As a fellow Texan, I can appreciate the heat around here, and now that I think of it, it may only be happening on hotter days.

Hufenstang: The car was bought new and has never been custom tuned.

jahudso: What should I use to clean the MAF? And I really doubt its a bad gas issue as I've gotten gas from several Exxon, shell, valero, and chevron stations all across the north side of San Antonio and out into east texas.

So, it looks like from the above responses that running a higher octane would be my best solution. Does anyone think that getting a CAI/tune might solve this issue at all, or is a CAI pretty much pointless with this going on?

You are getting pinging because the engine cannot retard the timing enough to keep it from pining. I get it sometimes here in AZ when it's 105-110+ in 3rd and 4th gear (auto).

If you get a CAI with a tune, you can retard the tunning further by a degree or two in the particular tune you have loaded to help avoid it happening.

Pinging can also be from bad gas. Try switching gas stations or brands or both. A higher octane is not necessarily the fix. If you go to she same station and just get a higher octane you may still get bad gas and have the same issue.

Also, check your air filter. A really dirty air filter will cause insufficient air to get into the intake and cause the engine to ping and even misfire or lug when you stomp on it.

I highly doubt there's anything wrong with the car or you would've thrown the CEL (check engine light)
Old 08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

Well, thanks for all the advice. If some of the "home remedies" don't work, I'll probably have the car at the dealership the early part of next week, and I'll put the results back up here. Wish me luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Good luck but I dont' think you'll get a satisfactory resolution from the dealership. They'll put onto an engine diagnostic and run all the tests. They will come up empty handed and tell you something you don't want to hear.

As a dealership they will not recommend retarding the tuning or using anything aftermarket.

Their advice will be:
1) Use higher octane
2) Get a full tune up which will cost you and won't guarantee a fix cos that's not the problem
3) Bring it back if the problem persists and they will have a master mechanic take it for a drive - code for, "there's nothing wrong with your car but you won't accept that so it sounds good and will get you off their back about something they cannot fix."

Quick Reply: The Cursed Pinging!!!!!!!