Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Almost done! Steering Rod Question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Default Almost done! Steering Rod Question!

Alright...We have everything on the car! Full exhaust finally installed w00t!

But...I -still- have no idea how to put the steering rod back in place

No one else but me tries to do it...I keep telling them I bet they'll just try it and bham, it'll go in...but now I've spent 3-4 hours trying to get the damn thing in..and it just won't go! I've mostly been trying to put it in from the top, with the bottom unbolted or bolted, or simply inside the rest of the shaft without being bolted in place. I've had someone rotate the wheel slowly so that when it finally matches up with the shaft, it'll click into place...I've tried putting the bolt in preemptively so that I can simply twist it in...NOTHING HAS WORKED

So whats with everyone saying its so easy it simply snaps in? What snaps in? The top snaps into the rectangle type whole thing at the top and then you screw it in? It doesn't seem that simple!

Since the whole has a solid rectangle shaped piece and the steering rod has a rectangle like hole that appear to be the same size, it seems logical that the rod slides over and into the hole, locks in place, where you then screw the bolt in. but...i can't seem to get the rod to slide into the hole no matter what I do! ....

Someone help? lol
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=137&viewfil...0-%20Lower.pdf

I hope you followed the clockspring procedure lined out in the service manual.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

hmmm....I didn't touch the top part. "Upper" steering shaft or whatever. Only took the bottom part out.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by MuchToLearn
hmmm....I didn't touch the top part. "Upper" steering shaft or whatever. Only took the bottom part out.

Its not the upper steering shaft.
Its the fact that if either end gets turned while the lower shaft is out, the clockspring will become unindexed and possably be damaged.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Basically what he is saying.....did you turn the steering wheel trying to align up the shaft? The clockspring is mounted under the air bag. It is a coiled flat wire. If say you turned the wheel 2 revs to the left and hooked the shaft back up, then while turn ing the other direction can pull /rip the clockspring.

Casey
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

I guess I should have told you I don't know every single part of our cars before I asked the question. Or you should have assumed that, either or.

If I did or didn't turn anything, it doesn't help in any way to how to re install the steering shaft.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My issue when trying to get it undone a few years ago was sliding the steering rack forward. There are two 18mm bolts holding it in place. If you undue those bolts the entire rack will slide 3" forward, giving you more room than you need to put the steering rod back together.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, thanks Simon. I've already tried unbolting one and two of the bolts to slide it forward....It just doesn't seem to lock in place at ALL...and it won't slide in very much at all. So when I push it in as much as I can...and then slide the bolt in the apparent correct spot...nothing. Just falls out. I look to see if the groove is lined up, and it appears so. I've tried to many different angels and ****. Nothing seems to work
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Yeah, thanks Simon. I've already tried unbolting one and two of the bolts to slide it forward....It just doesn't seem to lock in place at ALL...and it won't slide in very much at all. So when I push it in as much as I can...and then slide the bolt in the apparent correct spot...nothing. Just falls out. I look to see if the groove is lined up, and it appears so. I've tried to many different angels and ****. Nothing seems to work
If I had my car here I would go look underneath it to see exactly what it looks like. I thought there were two buts/bolts to tighten on the steering rod. A set screw looking thing and then the main piece. I need to look at it. I took it apart 4-5 times a few years ago but I haven't touched it since. If you haven't figured it out by friday/saturday, remind me and I'll take a looksee.

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I guess I should have told you I don't know every single part of our cars before I asked the question. Or you should have assumed that, either or.

If I did or didn't turn anything, it doesn't help in any way to how to re install the steering shaft.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=137
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=137&viewfil...20Coupling.pdf

Maybe its time to call in a professional, grasshopper.
Steering couplings that come loose at high speeds is not pretty.