Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI + Tune = Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI + Tune = Pinging

Well got a SCT calibrator with a tune from Brenspeed. We got the 91 tune, the car was making good power, but on a hot day under load the car would ping between 4k-6k randomly. So I called Brenspeed, they told me to lower the spark timing between 4k-6k rpms one degree at a time till it goes away. I did that, but it took 4 degrees!!! to get rid of the pinging. I mean wats the point of this tune, they told me california gas is not that good, is it really that bad?? I bet the car is not that much quicker if not as fast as stock. Also was wondering, do you guys know how many degrees they advance from the 87 tuen to the 91 tune, might as well run 87 tune lol.

btw, this is for a 2006 mgt.

thanx
Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
blike
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about the timing, but I know I haven't had a problem with my 91 tune from Bamachips and I'm in California as well
Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Sure seems to be a lot of complaints around here about detonation in these cars. Hmmm..
Old 08-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

I have the 93 tune from Bama; no issues to date.

I thought I heard pinging once, but was never able to replicate it again after that one instance, I had just emptied the tank and filled w/ 93 but some 87 or just bad gas may have remained.

Doug sent me a tune with it turned down 2 degrees but I also ran the 93 torque tune after that for about a week and swapped back to race today.

So far so good, granted I'm in NC so in Cali there is going to be much more heat, not sure about gas grade there did you just swap gas grades?

Last edited by Twiztga; 08-31-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

I see, I knew I should have chose bamachips, believe it or not the reason I didnt go with them was because I saw they miss spelled a word on their site, LOL. I just dont like this tune much, there is dead spots, and now with the lower timing, car doesnt have that much ***** as it used to.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Is there a way from the tuner device to tell if you are getting detonation?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twiztga
I have the 93 tune from Bama; no issues to date.

I thought I heard pinging once, but was never able to replicate it again after that one instance, I had just emptied the tank and filled w/ 93 but some 87 or just bad gas may have remained.

Doug sent me a tune with it turned down 2 degrees but I also ran the 93 Torque tune after that for about a week and swapped back to race today.

So far so good, granted I'm in NC so in Cali there is going to be much more heat, not sure about gas grade there did you just swap gas grades?
No I have had this tune for like 6 months now, it wasnt pinging all the time, usually on hot days so I didnt take it so seriosly. But now in the summer, started pinging alot, so I called Brenspeed and lowerd timing.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Sure seems to be a lot of complaints around here about detonation in these cars. Hmmm..
Yeah well our cars have 9.8 compression, which is not high but not necessarily low. Stock the computer is able to prevent this from happening by using the knock sensors but many factors have even caused pinging even in a stock car. Things such as quality of gas, heat, etc. But with a tune, it happens much easier do to the increased timing. I just hope I didnt get a bad tune. I dont know to me the decrease of 4 degrees timing seems exessive.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:05 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Is there a way from the tuner device to tell if you are getting detonation?
No, all the tuner allows you to do is simple changes such as gearing, changing spark timing in certain rpms, selecting 87, 89, 91, or stock tune, basically small changes. I do know it comes with a software, but not sure what other things you can accomplish with it.

BTW, are you a sushi fanatic?? LOL cause RIPTIDE , is a famous sushi place by my house, they got the best all you can eat. haha

Last edited by volcomchester18; 08-31-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

No, pinging here with California gas and bama 91 tq or 91 race tune.

Quick Reply: CAI + Tune = Pinging