Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen S/C for 07 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TJ
Well if you look at the following Saleen s/c cars ET’s running 10’s on stock motors (no nitrous or meth injection) they are getting these ET’s on 490-510rwhp. I know there are a couple others Saleens (similar setups stock LB) in the tens can’t think of them at this moment. I haven’t seen any other TS’s run these kinds of ET’s on 480-510rwhp. The other TS's superchargers seem to need min 540rwhp+ a least to run mid 10's kinds of ET times on a stock ci motor from what I have seen. If you do a lot of research you will see what I mean this is just a small example per my previous post.

490-510rwhp
Dyno JoeET-10.58 14-15 psi- auto-race gas-Saleen S/C
GT macattack ET-10.66. 14-15psi - auto-race gas -psi Saleen S/C
Joe Intravia ET-10.94 14-15psi -auto - race gas - psi - Saleen S/C
Anthony Importuna ET-10.98 14-15psi - auto - race gas - Saleen
Ok, one thing to note is I didnt think you were talking people in the 14psi range, I was talking more in the normal street 8-10psi range.

Honestly I dont follow people and their cars that closely to have anything to counter with only logic. The only one I remember is a shop with a whipple and meth injection who is running a stock auto and 20" street tires who I think was in the 10's. I think he did it on a stock motor too.

To me RWHP is RWHP, If 1 car with a saleen has 500 rwhp and a car with a whipple has 500 rwhp and the curve's are similar I would have to think they would run almost identical times.

Unless there is some great difference in their power curves I cant see where the difference is coming from.

But for the majority of us looking for fun street cars with about 450rwhp, I say any of the major brands of FI will work.

For a track car I would go Nitrous or Turbo, but thats just me.

I hope to get my car to run mid to high 11's in street trim with DR's.

Your results will vary.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twiztga
With the 07 GT Auto Trans; would the 435HP kit that Brenspeed has be too much? I've heard there are limitations on the power the stock auto trans can take? Kind of off topic.. ;D

IMO the Brenspeed Saleen Stage 2 is the perfect kit for an Auto GT.

Should make around 420rwhp give or take. This is right where from what I have read from Ford a stock auto will live a long life.

That would be a great fast street car.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Ok, one thing to note is I didnt think you were talking people in the 14psi range, I was talking more in the normal street 8-10psi range.

Honestly I dont follow people and their cars that closely to have anything to counter with only logic. The only one I remember is a shop with a whipple and meth injection who is running a stock auto and 20" street tires who I think was in the 10's. I think he did it on a stock motor too.

To me RWHP is RWHP, If 1 car with a saleen has 500 rwhp and a car with a whipple has 500 rwhp and the curve's are similar I would have to think they would run almost identical times.

Unless there is some great difference in their power curves I cant see where the difference is coming from.

But for the majority of us looking for fun street cars with about 450rwhp, I say any of the major brands of FI will work.

For a track car I would go Nitrous or Turbo, but thats just me.

Your results will vary.

Now this is not apples to apples I said without meth injection or nitrous if you looking to compare ET's, the Saleen cars were not using meth injection and also running 2-4psi lower than the car you mentioned.

I have great respect for Lidio as a tuner & driver and the times he went excellent job but it was running meth injection and around 17-19psi and he ran a ET 10.91 for the comparison you are using. That is still almost 4- tenths slower than the Saleen car not running meth injection and running 2-4psi lower. If you take away the meth injection and lower the psi to 15psi to even the field on the car you reference that would be a fair comparison for ET's imo.

My point was in previous post was it takes other TS's a min of 540+rwhp (might even need 550rwhp) to run 10.50's) your reference shows a car running meth injection, around 17-19 psi running a ET of 10.91 but no numbers on power rwhp or rwtq. From what I see at other forums it is taking guys with other TS's a min of 540+rwhp to run 10.50's.

I’ll have to imo agree to disagree with you on Saleen TS’s vs other TS’s on that one point I was talking about.
This is my last post on this subject. ^

Sidenote

Those times I posted for the Saleen cars were from 7 months ago in a thread about running tens, those cars have since run even faster ET’s just for the record

Last edited by TJ; 09-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

IMO the Brenspeed Saleen Stage 2 is the perfect kit for an Auto GT.

Should make around 420rwhp give or take. This is right where from what I have read from Ford a stock auto will live a long life.

That would be a great fast street car.
I think your thinking of a Stage 3 he would need a Stage 3 kit w/ auto to make around 420rwhp
Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Your results will vary.
I am curious on you specs if you don't mind.

What psi will you be running at the track?
Do you have or plan on a dyno tune?
Current stock tune or dyno tune rwhp/rwtq as of now?
When do plan on going to the track?

With all the Whipple members here I think I have only seen 2-3 post Et's results on this forum be good to see what you run.

Good luck!

Last edited by TJ; 09-04-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well I am still collecting parts but here is what I expect to be at when I am "done". I will only list supporting mods I think will aid at the track.

Whipple HO @ 10psi
RST Clutch (no more slip )
MGW
Tru Trac
4.10's
305/40/18 DR's
BMR CA's
CHE Panhard
CHE brace w/ tq limiters
MSD 2 step
line locks
Front swaybar delete/ rad support
iced intercooler
Driver Mod
Remove excess weight

I figure to be around 460rwhp + or -, and the car at about 3600 lbs + or -.

Any number in the 11's will make me happy as it is a street car # 1 and a track car last.

Only concession to racing I have will be the 2 step and line locks. 2 step should be fun stop light to stop light, and line locks help with the occasional smokey burnout.

Honestly with a street biased set up I wont be too ashamed to have a 12.0 - 12.2 as long as I am trapping 118mph.

No hard feelings on liking the Saleens, they are a great blower, heck I almost bought one. Just wanted to see a blower when I poped the hood not an "intake".

I love all FI.

If I ever go forged I am going to add nitrous to the mix so then I want low 11's
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Sorry noticed I didnt answer much of your questions.

What psi will you be running at the track? - 10psi
Do you have or plan on a dyno tune? - VMP Dyno Tune for 93 octane
Current stock tune or dyno tune rwhp/rwtq as of now? - Currently on the canned whipple tune and 8psi pulley making 420rwhp.
When do plan on going to the track? - I will probably be making a run after I finish breaking in my clutch, but it will probably be on stock perillis so i am not expecting much. More intersted to see my MPH for now.

For the 100% track attack it will probably wont be for a while as I am not independently wealthy so the mods come slowly.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Man with a plan nice at that.

Some questions for you.

Whipple HO @ 10psi --- What is the max psi this pulley will hit @6300 rpms/redline some guys report the HO really is a 10.7-11.0 psi pulley?
RST Clutch (no more slip )
MGW
Tru Trac -----This one kind of surprises me at your power level and running a DR (not a bias slick) $500.00 is a good chuck of money you feel the 8.8 Tlok won’t hold up for the amount of racing you will be doing just curious?

I am thinking IMO maybe add a girdle and I would put the money towards a alum Powerhouse DS (1-2 tenths?)which I am debating on now myself but have a hard time justifying that amount of money for a DS

4.10's
305/40/18 DR's
BMR CA's
CHE Panhard
CHE brace w/ tq limiter--- Nice to go with if you have a manual.
MSD 2 step
line locks
Front swaybar delete/ rad support ----Nice!
iced intercooler—Have ever thought about and what do you think of a iced fuel can and can we run them on our type of fuel system?
Driver Mod
Remove excess weight

I figure to be around 460rwhp + or -, and the car at about 3600 lbs + or -.

Any number in the 11's will make me happy as it is a street car # 1 and a track car last.
11’s is decent

Only concession to racing I have will be the 2 step and line locks. 2 step should be fun stop light to stop light, and line locks help with the occasional smokey burnout.

Honestly with a street biased set up I wont be too ashamed to have a 12.0 - 12.2 as long as I am trapping 118mph.
yep not bad

No hard feelings on liking the Saleens, they are a great blower, heck I almost bought one. Just wanted to see a blower when I poped the hood not an "intake".
I fully agree imo here (H.Polish for me) also on the Whipple and have posted so here on this forum many times and was one of the pros for the Whipple when deciding on which s/c to go with. But had to go with the Saleen imo thankfully there is the SupeShaker coming so I do have this as an option which I wouldn’t have with the Whipple which helps make up for the Whipple old school look that I would have like imo.

I love all FI.

If I ever go forged I am going to add nitrous to the mix so then I want low 11's

This is what I been waiting to see someone do on a 3v TS esp on a Saleen imo due to the fact imo the Saleen is really great in the front half of the track but hit the backhalf with a quick 50-75 shot would really do it imo thinking possible mid- low 9's on a forged 298ci.

From your post I thought and was hoping (on dr's/not st tires)you were going to the track in the next couple months but sounds like it will be a bit longer that.

Last edited by TJ; 09-04-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yes you do get a little more boost than advertised at redline. Running the 8 psi pulley I saw 8.7 on the dyno. So I would think probably about 11psi at redline on a nice cold night.

In regards to the tru-trac, I decided to go with it because I am going to have 4.10's installed anyway, so there is 0 labor to do it at the sime time. Also I am not wild about the clutch packs, so it gets rid of those, and I know at my power level I wont be able to break it, and if I decide to go nuts its ready to go.

No fuel chiller in my future. IMO they arent really needed on the returnless fuel system. In a return system I can see how the fuel could get heated, and that a cooler might help. There is a chance I might fab a custom intercooler resevoir but I need work to slow down first.

The nitrous I think would be fun and would serve a dual purpose of power and IAT cooler. I would probably spray 50-100 in third gear. Dont need any more tq off the line.

No DR's, or new wheels until the stock pereli's wear out. 17k miles so far and they still look new. I dont even rotate them I am keeping this car forever so I have time.

If you want to see what the whipple can do, look for CK's times when he hits the track