Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MAC prochamber

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
And yet we've heard people here mention (no actually swearing) they can feel a loss in power that they attribute to a backpressure issue.

Are they imagining things? A yes answer is acceptable btw.
If you are talking about an exhaust leak, then yes you will feel a loss of power. Why? Because the exhaust is made so it "scavenges" or each side helps the other pull exhaust out faster. You would feel a loss, but it is from the loss of the scavenging, not the loss of backpressure. Why would dragsters have just pipes coming off the engine if it hurt the power that much?

Edit: and I am done with the off topic talk, no more thread jacking for me.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

What's usually said is you lose low end torque with no back pressure but gain high end HP. With dragsters, they're in the high end of their RPMs so that setup works fine for them. But street driving will not be as good.

Saying just a loss of power is not accurate because it depends on what power you're talking about.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I have a catted prochamber I'll most likely be selling soon. I'm changing my exhaust to Bassani.

I cut the downpipes on an offroad prochamber and put in Pypes cats. It gives a really deep tone.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Hey war, are the pypes cats a metallic-type as opposed to the MAC ceramic-type? I'm considering swapping out my JBA o/r H and going prochamber. Just wondering if I should go back to cats. I'll have to start getting my car inspected yearly now and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to be swapping out my mid-pipe every year for a few days.

I would LOVE to hear a Pypes mid-muffler system with either an off-road or catted MAC prochamber if anyone can post a vid/sound link.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Do I need a flash/program? Yes, you will need a tune that disables the rear o2 sensors or deal with an annoying CEL dash light.

Does it cause HP/Trq loss? It may "seem" that way due to the powerband shift. You don't lose anything (you gain!) but have a powerband shift further up which may seem like you lose power down low. Don't believe the BS about "too little" backpressure.

How hard is the install? (I'd have to reinstall the cats in a couple years for emission inspection) It's a piece of cake with a good jack, jackstands. Four band clamps and about 8 bolts to loosen. A good rubber mallet is handy to beat any parts that are seized apart. You'll also have to remove the o2 sensors and be careful with them, the tips are somewhat delicate.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

will it be safe to drive the car with the o/r prochamber and no tune or do you have to have a tune, i know you need it to turn of the check engine light
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Nah, like 07S197 said it will be just fine. You'll just be annoyed by the cel light. A tune is highly suggested after any intake/exhaust mods though.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

yea thanks im goin to get the tuner and cai but i wanna but my prochamber on first then for christmas get the cai and tuner
Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Good choice bro. That's how I would have done it first. Sound quality, then drivability right? It's the mustang creed!

Seriously, good choice. The off-road pipe will give your car a whole new sound.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

yea i cant wait to get it on thanks for the help

Quick Reply: MAC prochamber