Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dynoed the Hot rod cams (with Whipple)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

Default Dynoed the Hot rod cams (with Whipple)

First let me say this when I had my car dynoed back in Feb of this year it was snowing when I pulled in to get my car tuned for the Whipple. The car made 467rwhp and 443tq on a dyno jet( not a mustang dyno which I heard can offer bigger numbers). Well today I go back to MPH to get my car tuned for the new cams. I have heard people saying on here that I could loose alittle boost due to these not being a s/c cam. Well I didn't loose any boost! What I did loose was torque. Now today it was a hot 90 degree day. So I think that has some of a role in the numbers I got compared to the cold air of Feb's numbers. With the same conservative tune at 16 degrees timing as before, I got these numbers, 484.78rwhp and 428.50tq. Well I am alittle disappointed with how the torque numbers came out. Like I said before this is own a dyno jet in 90 degree weather. So I think that this played a big part in the low numbers. But it is obvious that these cams are not made for a s/c application. They made power yes but I was hoping to at least keep my torque the same if not go up alittle. So I drove from MPH to my house which is about an hour away. To be honest at first I thought that I felt a big loss in the seat of the pants with the torque being so low. But as I drove the car more and more it seemed to kinda become okay. The car still pulls like a freight train which might be because of the 4.10's. But the thing I notice the most though was the sound difference. These cams brought my exhaust up to a whole new level. Much deeper and louder. It seemed like everytime I stopped I had people looking over at me and rolling down there windows to get a listen. The idle is set at 950 which I think is to high but the tuner had problems tring to get the idle to hold once you pushed the clutch in to come to a stop. So if you asked me if I thought that it was worth it to install these cams on a s/c application. I would say no. The only way I would say go for it is if you didn't care at all about making more power or torque and even didn't care about losing a little torque. But if you really really wanted a nice choppy idle like an older car then I would say go for it. But if you are on the fence just alittle bit then I would say spend your money else were or wait until someone makes a good lopey idle cam that will still make good power for a s/c application. But it is hard to beat these cams because of the sound and not having to change the springs. Just my .02
Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default Dyno Numbers...

Not the kind of numbers i was expecting either... but i am still going for it...will see what my tuner comes up with on a Mustang dyno(not sure if it matters). Is the guy that tuned your car pretty reputable ? expierenced ?. etc...I am also concerned about the lost torque..maybe its inevitable...Anyways congrats again!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey mustanglouie, can you post the dyno
graph
Old 09-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Ham,

How did your tune work out ????....
Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

while we are waiting for the graph
i'll add a little bit to the topic.

i haven't been back to the dyno since
installing these cams, but with my
newly installed (and slightly adjusted)
brenspeed tune), i am thrilled with the
way the car runs and sounds.

regarding the boost, i did multiple WOT
runs today and i do believe we may have
lost .4 to .5 lb's (max). i could see my
boost gauge tip just over 10, during WOT
runs.

i agree with mustanglouie, if you are looking
for max performance, go with blower cams....
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Fool4Parts
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info mustanglouie. I am not blown but did pick up HP&TQ. What is of interest to me is the low RPM idle (varying between 500-750rpm) when rolling to a stop with the clutch in (or out of gear, clutch out). I have the same thing happening with the BAMA race tune and have jacked my idle to 950 in an effort to compensate also. What is the deal with this? Can't some savvy tuner figure this one out? The instant my car completely stops idle returns to normal. Weird. It's just a little glitch and the car doesn't die but still, not quite purrfect. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it worked out great.....this tune
will be great, until i get a custom
dyno tune someday.....

i still want to know how yours turns out
too

Originally Posted by Vcoat
Ham,

How did your tune work out ????....
Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default Hammer...

Did you notice any low end torque loss with the tune?...hopefully next week i can post my numbers...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Green08BulliTT

i am very intrested in seeing the whole dyno graph. peak hp and tq dont mean much to me. if you can have both curves on one graph that would be awsome. this way we can see how it affects the whole curve,
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Also keep mind a mail order tune is going to be pretty conserative i would think...

Quick Reply: Dynoed the Hot rod cams (with Whipple)