Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ever try to open a tune file?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default ever try to open a tune file?

I got a couple of email tune files from one of the on line tuners to fix cel's (slow o2 sensors). what kind of software other than the sony sound forge stuff will open one of these files? It's a frg file extension.

my understanding is the on line tuners will turn the heater wire on all the time to fix a slow sensor code, and I'm curious as to what these files look like and if there is software available to make our own adjustments without having to be a dealer or purchase the cmr software if it's even available.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

are your rear O2's off?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

the rear o2's are off. the slow response code is specific to the fronts. what happens is that when you have headers installed, the sensors don't stay hot enough because of the lack of mass that the stock manifolds provide(or at least that's what ive been told). it appears some of the tuners will turn the front o2 heater wire on permanently so the 02's will operate properly, thus eliminating the specific cel i'm talking about.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

well alex at bamachips told me when i asked this question that they have to pay $10,000 every year for each engine they want to write programs for...so for 2008 it would cost them $20,000 just to be able to write tunes for the 4.0 and 4.6 engines...you cant write your own tune or adjust them, you can only adjust your parameters
Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
princessturtle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rojizostang
I got a couple of email tune files from one of the on line tuners to fix cel's (slow o2 sensors). what kind of software other than the sony sound forge stuff will open one of these files? It's a frg file extension.

my understanding is the on line tuners will turn the heater wire on all the time to fix a slow sensor code, and I'm curious as to what these files look like and if there is software available to make our own adjustments without having to be a dealer or purchase the cmr software if it's even available.

i'm assuming it's daiblo? cmr is diablo software. my understanding is that unless u have a pro racer package, there is no way to open a tune.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

princess is correct, each tuner (sct or diablo) has its own software that allows the user to write the tunes. the CMR is the diablo software. I doubt its that costly becuase i think the SCT software costs like $350 to buy for the basic package.

Sony sound forge is not the correct software unless you are editing music....it does that pretty good though!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
princessturtle
1st Gear Member

dude, u only have shorties? the O2 thing only deals with long tubes. the correct thing would be to change the time in the transport delay. if u have the heaters perm on, it will burn them up. it's supposed to cycle. but again, with shorties, u shouldn't have that prob.

Originally Posted by howarmat
princess is correct
i love hearing that. =)
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree you shouldnt have this problem with shorties really.....with my ARH i never had the code pop up either, Doug wrote a good tune for them
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

well, i wish it were only a long tube issue, but it's not. i am the only person i know who gets the slow sensor codes with shorties. i actually got a file that works to keep the cel's from coming back, but there were other issues associated with that particular tune i didn't like.

as far as the sound forge software is concerned, anytime you try to open the file it directs you to the sound forge site and says you gotta purchase it to open the frg type of file.

Last edited by rojizostang; 09-07-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:30 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by princessturtle
dude, u only have shorties? the O2 thing only deals with long tubes. the correct thing would be to change the time in the transport delay. if u have the heaters perm on, it will burn them up. it's supposed to cycle. but again, with shorties, u shouldn't have that prob.

i love hearing that. =)
actually it's doug from bama that told me that's how does it...turns the wire on permanently. he promises that it will have no effect on the longevity of the sensors.

Quick Reply: ever try to open a tune file?