Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Default Hurst Shifter Install

I installed my birthday present (Hurst Competition Shifter) this past weekend - it feels awesome. Scraped my knuckles up real good on the scarp metal edges in the trans/drive shaft tunnel, that and trying to get the rubber dust boot back on were the biggest challenges.

I do however, have a question for anyone that may have installed their own Hurst Shifter. It concerns the bottom shift linkage offset - the picture on page 2 of the instructions say the offset (long side) should be on the drivers side, while the written instructions on page 3 say that the offset should point to the passenger side. I pointed it to the drivers side so that the splines on the lower and upper shafts lined up with the shifter angle facing the rear.

Anyway, love the shifter. Should have been there from the beginning.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

The instructions have always been screwed up. If you go it in and its working, then you did it right. Congrats! I love mine too.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you did it right. The shifter should lean back. If you do it per the picture, the shifter is offset to the left side of the car, and the handle leans forward. It will work, but it's not right.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
capitalauto

mine after 4 month rattle and make alot of nose. everytime when it hit 3-4k rpm. gonna take that thing out and see reinstall with help.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

No rattle or noise from mine, at any rpm - just a solid feel. Used Blue ThreadLock were needed to make sure everytthing stays were it belongs.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

i want a hurst shifter! and i like your car, i have an 08 VB GT with 18" polished bullitts =) but i just ordered some new wheels
Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
brycspain

Mine is great. Anyone want to trade a white round handle for a black one?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

heres the deal bro, if you want the bar closer to you rotate the bottom that way if you want if farther back rotate it the other way... (the black base connecting to the lateral shifter bar thingy) as long as your ribbed ends are the same your all good and yes locktight is necissary ive messed with mine like 3 times. any questions pm me
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

which hurst did you get is it the new billit one thats what i ahve and love it.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
heres the deal bro, if you want the bar closer to you rotate the bottom that way if you want if farther back rotate it the other way... (the black base connecting to the lateral shifter bar thingy) as long as your ribbed ends are the same your all good and yes locktight is necissary ive messed with mine like 3 times. any questions pm me
hey man how do you like the t handle and if you have pics that be great thanks

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter Install