Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newb with an exhaust delima

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
cincygtstang

Default Newb with an exhaust delima

First off, high everyone great to finally be apart of the mustang family. Just got a 2005 Black GT MT daily driver, as a belated, by 4 months, college graduation present.

any way, been looking around trying to figure what I want to do. I have already purchased a JLT CAI and X-3 tuner, which is on the way. So I have spent hours upon hours reading every thing I could and watching countless youtube exhaust videos...yet still am undecided what to do.

I will say I am quite fond of the MAC axelback exhaust, and I am pretty sure that is the AB I want to go with. But then I have read about problems with drone. Now its not that it bugs me that much, I have had other systems on other vehicles in the past that had some drone, but since this is my daily driver my fiance will ride in it quite a bunch, and I know that too much drone will really bother her. I am not saying it has to be quite inside, but nothing annoying or obnoxious.

So knowing, the sound I am looking for of a deep old school sound,(like I said before like the MAC AB sounds) what setup would be best to suit my needs. Should I go catted H or o/r prochamber with the MAC axelback. or is there a completely different setup out there that will provide with the sound I am looking for?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

definately listen to borla or frpp stingers too. Old school deep rumble and mean at WOT. frpp and borla stingers are the same, just one has frpp label other is borla label and the price is about 100 cheaper i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8RWdk5Q5s

all stock except borla axlebacks

Last edited by Hufenstang; 09-09-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM
cincygtstang

First I do like the borla some what, but still didn't shake me off the MAC. question How bad is the drone really on the MAC alone and would a prochamber lessen it any or at least clean up the sound at all
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

The drone is pretty intense with the macs, had them with o/r x, o/r x and stock mid pipe and they all droned, with stock cats it wasnt to bad though considering with the o/r h it was wicked bad, the x does not drone very much at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
cincygtstang

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
The drone is pretty intense with the macs, had them with o/r x, o/r x and stock mid pipe and they all droned, with stock cats it wasnt to bad though considering with the o/r h it was wicked bad, the x does not drone very much at all.
How do you feel a o/r prochamber would be paired with it, can't seem to find any vids of that set-up. I have almost reserved to the fact that I am going to go with the MAC axleback cause all across the board it is what I am looking for perfectly, especially how it sounds at idle. would the prochamber at least clean it up bit., but I have heard from some that with an o/r H the drone is only annoying around 2500-2800 RPM, heck if it annoys the fiance sooo much will take her Honda out instead
Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i would try what i was goin to do is the mac a/bs and a high flow catted prochamber but now im just goin to go with the o/r prochamber b/c i want really loud
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I just installed Maganflow Maganpacks. They have a nice deep rumble to them. Now, I have read that people have complained about the drone with this set-up, but I don't think it's that bad. My flowmaster 40 series was worse. With that being said, the MACs may not be that bad.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i like the drone with the macs i dont think its that bad and the macs sound awsome
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I have the MAC axlebacks on my mustang and I really don't think the drone is that bad. I know I definetly can look past it in order to get a good deep sound from the S197 mustang.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Be careful what vids you base your choices on. If a car has a turbo or supercharger or headers, the sound will be different. Midpipe choice is almost more important than muffler choice. Also, you should always listen to youtube videos through headphones of some type because they bring out the sound better than cheap computer speakers.

Quick Reply: Newb with an exhaust delima