Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.10 installed, noticing a low pitched hum from 40-maybe 50mph...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Every time we did gears at ford, we always replaced every single bearing because while installing the new gears if your not careful your could damage the bearings in the process. It is always recommend to change all bearings, especially when you pull everything apart like that. I suggest you take it back and have them re-do it with all bearings replaced. Either way, before this install you never had the humming so that just proves that they did something wrong and they must fix it free of cost.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Marksman14

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
Every time we did gears at ford, we always replaced every single bearing because while installing the new gears if your not careful your could damage the bearings in the process. It is always recommend to change all bearings, especially when you pull everything apart like that. I suggest you take it back and have them re-do it with all bearings replaced. Either way, before this install you never had the humming so that just proves that they did something wrong and they must fix it free of cost.
Very true. I certainly wouldn't have a problem paying for the bearings, and I told them that from the get go. I most certainly did not hear the noise pre-install. I specifically payed attention over the past week to the noises my car was making, which is why this noise hit me like a ton of bricks. The pinion angle seems as if its got to be correct though, there is NO additional noise coming from the gears at all. Aside from that hum, its as quiet as it was with the 3.31 in there.

Good news is, they are a very reputable shop that sponsors a TON of websites, so I imagine they will stand behind their work no problem. I will call monday when they reopen and see what they are willing to do.

Any potential issues from driving it in the meantime?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Well the bearing noise will eventually get louder and louder, but in the meantime you will be fine driving it. But you should take care of it as soon as possible.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Ford likes to throw away good parts, I think it's a policy of theirs. The only bearing that was replaced on my car was the inner pinion bearing. It's hard to remove without damage and mine was damaged. They were nice enough to give me the damaged bearing as well.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to replace all the bearings, only that that's the way Ford does it and they don't deviate. They can also charge you for all new bearings if it's not a warranty job.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^ well I agree, I said that its a good idea doing it while your pulling it apart. Yeah I know the way ford does it, but its always better to do it right, especially when it comes to gears.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

^^ well I agree, I said that its a good idea doing it while your pulling it apart. Yeah I know the way ford does it, but its always better to do it right, especially when it comes to gears.
So are you saying the right way is to replace all the bearings?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

well yeah the outer pumpkin bearings, and the pinion bearing. In every manual it is highly recommended to replaced them when replacing any part of gears. Plus, like i said in the process of getting the ring out you need to hammer it out with the bearing facing on the ground (I dont think the impact from hammering is any good for it too), sometimes you can damage the bearings if your not careful. And obviously the pinion bearing is must to change.

Last edited by volcomchester18; 09-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.